Small fridge as a chiller

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm wondering if you be able to use a small fridge as a chiller? I would use a small return pump to push or pull water from the sump through the door, coil some tubing in fridge, then back out through the door and maybe use a spray bar to put the cooler water back into the sump. Other than space, what are the issues with this idea?

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly, a whole bunch of things:(

The compressor for the fridge is not designed for continuous (or nearly) use. It won't last very long. Although you can use vinyl tubing or pvc for the input and return from the fridge, both are horrible heat exchangers so you'll need titanium or other nonreactive metal for the actual cooling coils. Keeping them in a water bath inside the fridge will increase the efficiency but you will almost certainly use way more electricity than an actual aquarium cooler.

I'm not saying this to be mean. I'm saying it because sometime in the early 90's I tried it and failed miserably.

shamrock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
would work in theory, but unless you have a freezer, or bunch of tubes in an ice tub, your flow would need to be very slow to increase the contact time... but i suppose it's doable?

OP
OP
Ippyroy

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the answer. I only need to use a chiller for about one or two months at about two hours a day, max up to 4 hours.

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s been tons of people that tried, Do a search on here and see how it turned out.

OP
OP
Ippyroy

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
would work in theory, but unless you have a freezer, or bunch of tubes in an ice tub, your flow would need to be very slow to increase the contact time... but i suppose it's doable?
He brought up using a water bath. I thought coiling them like a wort chiller. But sounds like a no go. Will look into it some more.

shamrock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
good luck :D

i'm sure you've done this already... how about keeping your eye out at craigslist... saw a hailea chiller 1000 (1hp) for $350 (or nearest offer) yesterday :oops: . i realise you probably want to do it yourself though.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It actually won’t work .... or at least not on any sizable aquarium. I tried it decades ago. Small fridge simply doesn’t have the necessary BTUs to cool an open system. Reminds me of the LFS years ago that tried to sell me the original lifeguard modular canister system by saying I’d be able to use a 50 watt heater because it only had to heat the gallon of water inside the canister LOL.

OP
OP
Ippyroy

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It actually won’t work .... or at least not on any sizable aquarium. I tried it decades ago. Small fridge simply doesn’t have the necessary BTUs to cool an open system. Reminds me of the LFS years ago that tried to sell me the original lifeguard modular canister system by saying I’d be able to use a 50 watt heater because it only had to heat the gallon of water inside the canister LOL.
Thanks.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 6.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 5.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 78 79.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.1%
Back