Small Frozen Food Packets

kfries

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 20g AIO with a clown, hawk, damsel, dotty back, mandarin and cuc. They mysis frozen food packets are way too much for my tank. I feedpelletsin the am and frozen mysis in the evening. I cut the cubes in half for the evening feeding. I usually pop a row out and cut a bunch up and store them in a baggy. It helps whem my wife has to feed when I work late. Its a pain in the rump and hard to get consistent sizing. Even at half a cube it seems to be a bit too much. I have been buying the San Fransisco Bay food brand. Is there a company that makes a smaller size cube? I got lucky and my mandarin loves the mysis as well.

LadyMac

Freshwater sage fish whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pack of “mini cubes” by I believe SFB brand? I’d have to check when I get home. But yeah it’s about half size.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 20g AIO with a clown, hawk, damsel, dotty back, mandarin and cuc. They mysis frozen food packets are way too much for my tank. I feedpelletsin the am and frozen mysis in the evening. I cut the cubes in half for the evening feeding. I usually pop a row out and cut a bunch up and store them in a baggy. It helps whem my wife has to feed when I work late. Its a pain in the rump and hard to get consistent sizing. Even at half a cube it seems to be a bit too much. I have been buying the San Fransisco Bay food brand. Is there a company that makes a smaller size cube? I got lucky and my mandarin loves the mysis as well.

Interesting question... For 5 fish, 4 if you don't count the mandarin, I would think 1 full cube would not be enough. Curious...

Since I have much larger systems, and a much higher fish count, I typically feed 6 or 7 full cubes every day.

One way that might help with your situation is to defrost the cubes in a set level of water. No idea what that would be but for arguments sake let's say 3 cubes in 2 oz of water. Then use a pipette to measure enough food from that to feed. Easier than cutting the cubes and defrosting at every feeding.

For my FOWLR tank, which has 14 or 15 fish, I put 6 cubes into a specimen container and fill with tank water. I usually make up 3 at a time and store in the fridge. At feeding time, I shake it up to mix well and pour into the tank.

For my reef, I use a half pint mason jar where I defrost several dozen cubes of all different types of foods. I add all the cubes in the jar, add enough tank water to fill about 3/4 full (the cubes usually are over the top of the jar) allow to defrost enough to get the lid on and then in the fridge. I feed 4 full tablespoonfulls every day.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.5%
Back