Small Green-brownish tufts growing like crazy on tank glass

blueberryblue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
I have a 1 month old 40 breeder and recently turned the lights on last week (at a relatively low setting). My tank is cycled and I have 2 clowns in it and the ugly brown phase has commenced within the past few days. That's not really what I'm worried about though, as when I got home tonight I found my tank walls (mainly the front and sides) were completely covered in these very small tufts of hair. When I fed the clowns in the morning I didn't notice them at all. They are mostly brown but look somewhat green in light, most are very small but I can tell they have been getting bigger over the day. All of them have a round brown base where they are growing from. They are spreading like a dang wildfire. With some research my best idea is bryopsis and some of my live rocks have green and brown hairy stuff on them that I plan to hydrogen peroxide dip soon. However, the stuff on my rocks doesn't really look like what I'm seeing on my glass. I can see them spreading and how the "babies" only have one tuft of hair and some of the ones at the front of my tank have multiple and are longer. My cheap glass cleaner couldn't take them off, the only way to do it was to rub my finger against the glass.

I am so confused on what to do especially because it is spreading so incredibly fast. Does anyone have any other ideas? I plan to do about a 25% water change monday; should I consider a blackout? It's worrisome as well because the light level is already not enough to grow the softies I was planning on getting.

Thank you for any helpful discussion, attached I have 3 pictures but due to their size, them being on the glass, and my phone loving blue light, it was hard to get a decent photo of them. Perhaps tomorrow I can turn the blue light completely off and hope I can get a better picture.

IMG_7853 (1).jpg

IMG_7852 (1).jpg

IMG_7851 (2).jpg

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back