Small gyre for 30 Gallon

puddleglum

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 31, 2024
Messages
87
Reaction score
41
Location
Sheboygan, WI
What state or country do you live in
Wisconsin
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I have been watching videos about gyre pumps placed high in the tank creating a flow pattern through a tank to keep detritus from settling easily. I am setting up a 30 gallon (36Lx12WX16H) and see that hygger makes the HG070 and Jebao makes the SCP-50 which are small, move a lot of water, but are adjustable.

Has anyone used these small gyres?
Would it be too much flow for a 30 gallon, or would it work since it is a 36" tank?
Would a small gyre be enough, or would adding a small wavemaker on the other end, maybe set to random, be a good idea?

Thanks
-pg
 
I run a Maxspect 330xf on an IM 40L AIO which has similar display dimensions. A gyre on one side provides enough flow to keep detritus moving if the flow isn't blocked by corals/rocks. Bit, it gives only a single direction of flow, so corals tendo to sway or be pushed on innone direction only. I think a second pump (gyre or regular) on the other side would help add random movement
 
I used to run 2 icecap gyres on my 32 before I upgraded, I was very happy with it. They all have controllers, so you can turn down the flow.
 
I run a Maxspect 330xf on an IM 40L AIO which has similar display dimensions. A gyre on one side provides enough flow to keep detritus moving if the flow isn't blocked by corals/rocks. Bit, it gives only a single direction of flow, so corals tendo to sway or be pushed on innone direction only. I think a second pump (gyre or regular) on the other side would help add random movement

I used to run 2 icecap gyres on my 32 before I upgraded, I was very happy with it. They all have controllers, so you can turn down the flow.

Interesting you both were running larger, full size gyres. I wonder if the small ones I am considering are too small?
 
I use the hygger mini in my 26 and it works great and the controller is awesome.
 
Interesting you both were running larger, full size gyres. I wonder if the small ones I am considering are too small?

They very well could be lowering the power to use them in smaller environments. I tested one of my Maxspect XF280's in my 40 breeder and it was able to push water all along the display to include spilling over at 100%. Too much. Also larger or wider gyres will carry the laminar flow across the display.

The version you noted has 1 side vs 2 of the others. I think red sea makes a similar. Anyway if you do go larger just be aware that you may have to dial it down. Still may do what you want.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 2 3.9%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 2 3.9%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 12 23.5%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 13 25.5%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 8 15.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 3.9%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 15.7%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 3 5.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new