Small leak Eshopps Eclipse Overflow

ruxsir

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently drilled a 40 breeder and got a couple small chips in the exterior side of the hole. I have leak tested the tank twice with an eshopps eclipse overflow setup and have gotten a small leak each time. The leak occurs between the external box and the glass. It’s not major, but it is present. I assume it is from the chips causing the gasket not to completely seal. My question is what are some possible solutions. I think the leak could also be coming from the exterior box where the nut and bulkhead are and the gasket because there is a gasket inside the tank between glass and internal box.

- Use silicone on the gaskets and tighten to it squeezes out?
- Silicone the entire exterior box to the back of the tank?
- Silicone on the threads of the nut?
- Order neoprene rubber and create an entire rubber gasket the shape of the box in addition to the supplied gasket? (Like a square gasket for the entire box)

Any other suggestions? Possible to fill the chips in?

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big was the chip? I drilled mine and on the exit side it wasn't perfect but I have no leaks. Also using the eshoppes overflow. The orientation of the gasket matters as well. Where did you install it and what side is the groove on?

Edit: also did you hand tighten only? Extra cranking with a wrench can warp the rubber gasket

OP
OP
R

ruxsir

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s maybe 1/8 inch in diameter if that. Probably even smaller. It’s like a small diver, or clamshell chip not sure how to describe it.

Inside gasket is between the internal box and the glass. Ridges facing glass. The leak was less when the ridges faced the glass versus flat side facing glass.

Outside gasket is between exterior glass and external box. Ridges facing glass again.

Yes I did hand tighten. It’s pretty snug. But also hard for me to get my hand in there. Should I loosen it slightly?

How did you keep the bulkhead inside the internal box flushed to the internal box wall? I had a hard time keeping it still inside the internal box.

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did the groove (ridged) side against the glass; smooth side against the acrylic. It's not easy; the box is small for my hands too; some mumbling and cursing was involved ;) . I'd try maybe flipping the gaskets if it's not too late (tank not already running) before using sealant but that's just me. I'd want it to seal without help because that help can/may give way later on. How bad of a leak is it? Do you recall where the chip was? Does it seem to come from that area?

OP
OP
R

ruxsir

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did the groove (ridged) side against the glass; smooth side against the acrylic. It's not easy; the box is small for my hands too; some mumbling and cursing was involved ;) . I'd try maybe flipping the gaskets if it's not too late (tank not already running) before using sealant but that's just me. I'd want it to seal without help because that help can/may give way later on. How bad of a leak is it? Do you recall where the chip was? Does it seem to come from that area?
Haha same here, usually adding those adjectives in does the trick lol. Tank is not running just have been leak testing them. I had the gaskets smooth side on glass first and the leak was a slow but constant stream. When I flipped them, the leak was from the same spot (spot where the chip is from what I can tell hard to see with the box there) but it takes a drop of water about 10-15 minutes to travel from the leak to base of the tank. So it’s minor, but I’d rather have nothing.

Is there a gap between your internal box and glass and external box and glass? I’m assuming from the gaskets but it seems like a decent gap.

I have a video of the leak the first time with the gaskets smooth side on glass.

The leak now is much less than is this video. The union in the video dripping was also tightened so no leak there now.

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's not a bad leak. I might just silicon it up if I'm honest :) . Looks like you might have some layin around. Nice build. Very similiar to mine. I like left to right (or vice/versa I guess) flow orientation of sumps. Should work nicely

OP
OP
R

ruxsir

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's not a bad leak. I might just silicon it up if I'm honest :) . Looks like you might have some layin around. Nice build. Very similiar to mine. I like left to right (or vice/versa I guess) flow orientation of sumps. Should work nicely
Haha yes I definitely went overkill with the silicone on the sump, but it doesn’t have to look perfect just has to work.

Should I silicone around the bulkhead or should I just silicone the entire external box to the tank? I’m leaving towards the latter.

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha yes I definitely went overkill with the silicone on the sump, but it doesn’t have to look perfect just has to work.

Should I silicone around the bulkhead or should I just silicone the entire external box to the tank? I’m leaving towards the latter.
Haha I wasn't even commenting on that tbh. You should see mine! Just that you did your own sump and might have some left. Yup, it just has to serve a purpose in the end.

Hmm. Full disclosure I'm nowhere close to a plumber lol. I'm thinking maybe make a ring around the gasket with silicon and sandwich it on? It wouldn't take but a super thin line maybe. If you seal the entire box I'd worry about it filling with water? Idk. That leak may seal itself from salt creep... I don't think a lot of silicon is needed but again, not a pro

OP
OP
R

ruxsir

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha I wasn't even commenting on that tbh. You should see mine! Just that you did your own sump and might have some left. Yup, it just has to serve a purpose in the end.

Hmm. Full disclosure I'm nowhere close to a plumber lol. I'm thinking maybe make a ring around the gasket with silicon and sandwich it on? It wouldn't take but a super thin line maybe. If you seal the entire box I'd worry about it filling with water? Idk. That leak may seal itself from salt creep... I don't think a lot of silicon is needed but again, not a pro
Gotcha, neither am I lol, far from it actually. I’ve read somewhere that using silicone on the gasket itself can cause it slide at a later time potentially. So I think what you’re suggesting is correct. Just put some silicone around the actually gasket itself and it should seal. I think that should work. I’ll have to try it. Thanks!

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha, neither am I lol, far from it actually. I’ve read somewhere that using silicone on the gasket itself can cause it slide at a later time potentially. So I think what you’re suggesting is correct. Just put some silicone around the actually gasket itself and it should seal. I think that should work. I’ll have to try it. Thanks!
Yes good call; no silicon on the rubber. I think you got it

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 86 45.7%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 85 45.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 17 9.0%
Back