Small Ocellaris Clown Dorsal Fin Issue

  • Thread starter Thread starter jimpianta
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

jimpianta

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 28, 2026
Messages
14
Reaction score
1
Location
Dublin
What state or country do you live in
Ohio
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just placed these guys in my 20g quarantine tank. The small clown has an abnormality on the tip of its dorsal fin. Can anyone help identify this issue. I had planned to perform the current reef2reef quarantine protocol, but not sure if this is a game changer or not? Six line and watchmen goby also in the tank. Please help. Video attached.
 

Attachments

  • Video40426.mov
    2.9 MB
Just placed these guys in my 20g quarantine tank. The small clown has an abnormality on the tip of its dorsal fin. Can anyone help identify this issue. I had planned to perform the current reef2reef quarantine protocol, but not sure if this is a game changer or not? Six line and watchmen goby also in the tank. Please help. Video attached.
It's difficult to see anything - due to their movement. With new fish a 'lesion' might be something like lymphocytes (a self-limited viral infection) or an injury. It should not be a reason not to use the quarantine protocol. Not sure what you mean by 'game changer' - i.e. change the quarantine or taking the fish back. Can you get a picture and enlarge the area - I think I see what you mean, though.
 
Probably an aggression issue as squabbling is very common with Clowns and be aware 6 -lines are mean wrasses and cause problems. Go ahead and start your QT and make sure you have hiding spots and you should research the Goby and Wrasse because they most likely need sand/pebbles to bury to burrow.
 
Just placed these guys in my 20g quarantine tank. The small clown has an abnormality on the tip of its dorsal fin. Can anyone help identify this issue. I had planned to perform the current reef2reef quarantine protocol, but not sure if this is a game changer or not? Six line and watchmen goby also in the tank. Please help. Video attached.
Theres no lesion here but rather possible viral issue and normal swimming noted
Fish look slightly thin and should be fed foods such as LRS Fish frenzy, plankton, mysis shrimp, new era pellets and flakes
You safely apply ruby rally pro which addresses an array of clownfish issues during quarantine
 
Thanks for the responses. I was planning on observing them for the next 2 or 3 days (get them eating), and ease up copper power slow for the six line wrasse and follow with prazi per the current quarantine protocol here on reef2reef. Should I also treat with ruby rally pro and what order should the treatments be in?
 
Theres no lesion here but rather possible viral issue and normal swimming noted
Fish look slightly thin and should be fed foods such as LRS Fish frenzy, plankton, mysis shrimp, new era pellets and flakes
You safely apply ruby rally pro which addresses an array of clownfish issues during quarantine
Thanks for the responses. I was planning on observing them for the next 2 or 3 days (get them eating), and ease up copper power slow for the six line wrasse and follow with prazi per the current quarantine protocol here on reef2reef. Should I also treat with ruby rally pro and what order should the treatments be in?
 
Thanks for the responses. I was planning on observing them for the next 2 or 3 days (get them eating), and ease up copper power slow for the six line wrasse and follow with prazi per the current quarantine protocol here on reef2reef. Should I also treat with ruby rally pro and what order should the treatments be in?
One or the other on meds - Not mixed together
 
Just placed these guys in my 20g quarantine tank. The small clown has an abnormality on the tip of its dorsal fin. Can anyone help identify this issue. I had planned to perform the current reef2reef quarantine protocol, but not sure if this is a game changer or not? Six line and watchmen goby also in the tank. Please help. Video attached.

I don’t think that lesion should slow your implementation of a full quarantine.

The tank does look very new, does it have an operational biofilter?
 
Just placed these guys in my 20g quarantine tank. The small clown has an abnormality on the tip of its dorsal fin. Can anyone help identify this issue. I had planned to perform the current reef2reef quarantine protocol, but not sure if this is a game changer or not? Six line and watchmen goby also in the tank. Please help. Video attached.

I don’t think that lesion should slow your implementation of a full quarantine.

The tank does look very new, does it have an operational biofilter?
Yes, freshly cycled and cleaned up with water change.
 
Just placed these guys in my 20g quarantine tank. The small clown has an abnormality on the tip of its dorsal fin. Can anyone help identify this issue. I had planned to perform the current reef2reef quarantine protocol, but not sure if this is a game changer or not? Six line and watchmen goby also in the tank. Please help. Video attached.

I don’t think that lesion should slow your implementation of a full quarantine.

The tank does look very new, does it have an operational biofilter?
Thanks for the guidance.
 
I don’t think that lesion should slow your implementation of a full quarantine.

The tank does look very new, does it have an operational biofilter?
Update, larger clown (new development) and now both clowns (was previously only the small clown) have a lesion on the tip of thier dorsal fin. After observing and getting them eating the first 4 days I started ramping up copper power over 4 days to 2.13-2.33 ppm and have been running there the last 4 days. I feed them TDO Chroma Boost and frozen brine shrimp to suite the clowns, six line and Yellow Watchman Gogy. They"re eating and getting along good.

My plans are to complete the 30 day copper treatment and treat with prazi pro per the recommended Full Quarantine process. In light of the second clown now also developing a lesion should I just stay the course, do something different now or add a treatment when full quarantine is complete. Some current photos and the med's I have on hand just in case are attached.
 

Attachments

  • image0 (1).jpeg
    image0 (1).jpeg
    60.7 KB · Views: 17
  • image1 (1).jpeg
    image1 (1).jpeg
    79.3 KB · Views: 36
  • image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    66.6 KB · Views: 42
  • image3.jpeg
    image3.jpeg
    341.4 KB · Views: 20
That looks like lymph. I feed mine spectrum pellets (no crazy fillers, and only filler for binder is wheat), and DKI 1.3 B-Glucan and it got over it. Although I think lymph is just in the fishes system once they get it.


In one instance I did do some Kanaplex dosing for my blue bar annular angle. And it seemed to help a bit.

Keep the water clean and that’s the bigger part of this issue subsiding.
 
Update, larger clown (new development) and now both clowns (was previously only the small clown) have a lesion on the tip of thier dorsal fin. After observing and getting them eating the first 4 days I started ramping up copper power over 4 days to 2.13-2.33 ppm and have been running there the last 4 days. I feed them TDO Chroma Boost and frozen brine shrimp to suite the clowns, six line and Yellow Watchman Gogy. They"re eating and getting along good.

My plans are to complete the 30 day copper treatment and treat with prazi pro per the recommended Full Quarantine process. In light of the second clown now also developing a lesion should I just stay the course, do something different now or add a treatment when full quarantine is complete. Some current photos and the med's I have on hand just in case are attached.

That looks like a self limiting viral disease known as Lymphocystis. The virus gets into the fish’s skin cells and causes them to grow to a giant size. Then, the fish develops resistance to the virus, and the cells slowly shrink over a few weeks to a month or so.

Clownfish don’t get lymphocystis as often as some other fish, but this does look like it to me.
 
That looks like lymph. I feed mine spectrum pellets (no crazy fillers, and only filler for binder is wheat), and DKI 1.3 B-Glucan and it got over it. Although I think lymph is just in the fishes system once they get it.


In one instance I did do some Kanaplex dosing for my blue bar annular angle. And it seemed to help a bit.

Keep the water clean and that’s the bigger part of this issue subsiding.
FWIW - I think you're right - However - I think the majority of new reefers wouldn't know what 'lymph' is. Assume you mean lymphocytes
 
FWIW - I think you're right - However - I think the majority of new reefers wouldn't know what 'lymph' is. Assume you mean lymphocytes

Correct. Lymphocytes
 
That looks like a self limiting viral disease known as Lymphocystis. The virus gets into the fish’s skin cells and causes them to grow to a giant size. Then, the fish develops resistance to the virus, and the cells slowly shrink over a few weeks to a month or so.

Clownfish don’t get lymphocystis as often as some other fish, but this does look like it to me.
So both me and my QT ATO failed. When I checked copper while feeding this morning the ATO was cycling on and off continually. I had been at therapeutic level for 13 days running around 2.4 ppm. This morning it was 1.83 ppm. My salinity is at 1.016 SG. It had been at 1.021 SG. The amount of extra water in the tank in the tank didn't add up to those amounts of dilution. SOoo.. checked my ATO reservoir and it is also 1.016 SG because I didn't have my ATO discharge tubing outlet above the upper edge of the tank.

Fish seem fine but, should I raise back to 1.021SG salinity with new ATO (running to LFS now) with evaporation and restart 30 day copper treatment? I think Copper Power only recommends copper treatment above 1.019SG.
 
So both me and my QT ATO failed. When I checked copper while feeding this morning the ATO was cycling on and off continually. I had been at therapeutic level for 13 days running around 2.4 ppm. This morning it was 1.83 ppm. My salinity is at 1.016 SG. It had been at 1.021 SG. The amount of extra water in the tank in the tank didn't add up to those amounts of dilution. SOoo.. checked my ATO reservoir and it is also 1.016 SG because I didn't have my ATO discharge tubing outlet above the upper edge of the tank.

Fish seem fine but, should I raise back to 1.021SG salinity with new ATO (running to LFS now) with evaporation and restart 30 day copper treatment? I think Copper Power only recommends copper treatment above 1.019SG.

If it was just overnight, you won’t need to restart the process, just add a couple of days on the end of the treatment to make up for the 3/4 dose for less than a day here.
 
So both me and my QT ATO failed. When I checked copper while feeding this morning the ATO was cycling on and off continually. I had been at therapeutic level for 13 days running around 2.4 ppm. This morning it was 1.83 ppm. My salinity is at 1.016 SG. It had been at 1.021 SG. The amount of extra water in the tank in the tank didn't add up to those amounts of dilution. SOoo.. checked my ATO reservoir and it is also 1.016 SG because I didn't have my ATO discharge tubing outlet above the upper edge of the tank.

Fish seem fine but, should I raise back to 1.021SG salinity with new ATO (running to LFS now) with evaporation and restart 30 day copper treatment? I think Copper Power only recommends copper treatment above 1.019SG.

What ATO are you running? I run check valves on ATO systems or a water break air gap device like you see come with the RedSea ATO.
 
If it was just overnight, you won’t need to restart the process, just add a couple of days on the end of the treatment to make up for the 3/4 dose for less than a day here.
Honestly as of this morning my last copper measurement of 2.4 ppm was 48 hours previous, I didn't check it yesterday. I really can't be certain how long my ATO water supply line was siphoning (not having a check valve or an air break in it).

Is it ok to raise Copper Power back to say 2.25 ppm while I'm still at 1.016 sg? And can I raise salinity back to 1.021 sg via ATO/evaporation over say the next 7-14 days (not sure of my evaporation rate)? I'm just worried treating with copper while raising salinity is too stressful on the fish.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 6.5%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 20 21.5%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 27 29.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 9.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 7 7.5%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 12 12.9%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 7.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new