Small orange tubes - what are they?

321Simon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for help on identifying this orange tube hitchhiker that is spreading. This appeared on a bubble coral (on tube and rock only - not on bubble coral tissue) from local pet store. I have not seen anything come out of tubes but they are spreading. I searched forums but no luck so far. Thank you for any help

orange pest.jpg

OP
OP
321Simon

321Simon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you both for the tip. I did not think to search for snails. I have not seen anything come out of them yet but will treat it like vermetid/vermitid

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From the looks of that one photo, it looks like you could reach your hand down in there with a clean flathead screwdriver and bust them up right down to their base; it’s important to crush the base, not just snap off the tops. Best wishes.

busfullofderps

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to try controlling population through natural prevention, I have had success with my possum wrasse munching on these and flatworms. Some have had success with bumble bee snails as well, have not tried.

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to try controlling population through natural prevention, I have had success with my possum wrasse munching on these and flatworms. Some have had success with bumble bee snails as well, have not tried.
I have bumblebee snails and they do eat vermitid but not at the rate that will decimate them quickly, I have never heard of that wrasse you mentioned but I am intrigued!!!

busfullofderps

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have bumblebee snails and they do eat vermitid but not at the rate that will decimate them quickly, I have never heard of that wrasse you mentioned but I am intrigued!!!
I may have the name incorrect, but I believe it is a yellow banded possum wrasse. I waited for quite some time to find one at my LFS. This, and the pink streaked wrasse are my favorite for animated behavior and utilitarian pest control. Their movement makes no sense, like a drunkard manning a helicopter.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Bumble bee snails best bet

OP
OP
321Simon

321Simon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all so much for the advice. Today I went after all the worms I could find. I'm going to keep after them and try to find both bumble bee snails and yellow banded possum wrasse. Always love adding cool creatures that chip in on taking down pests.

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there even any evidence of bumblebee snails actually eating vermetids? This has been brought up every time someone mentions vermetids and I have yet to see a single success story... The wrasse sounds even like a worse bet but those are rare enough that it could be unnoticed.

Back