Small reddish bean sized thing?

Sockcman

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 21, 2026
Messages
27
Reaction score
15
Location
BC
What state or country do you live in
Canada
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There has been this small reddish bean sized thing on my sand bed that I noticed about 3 days ago. Any ideas what it is?



PXL_20261003_191142324.jpg
 
That is a Kidney Bean.






(no idea really unless you can maybe get a more detailed or better lit photo.)
 
That tube next to it might be a clue, do you have nassarius snails in your tank?

Does the kidney bean move at all? does that tube?
 
My first thought was a rock.

Then I saw the snail siphon, and it still looks like a rock to me. Not any snail shell I've seen in a reef at least.
 
Very interesting! I did see the nassarius snail tube, but I don't think that this is a snail. My guess is some kind of pink rock, like pink quartz or something
 
Very interesting! I did see the nassarius snail tube, but I don't think that this is a snail. My guess is some kind of pink rock, like pink quartz or something
Yeah a nassarius snail just happened to be beside it. Definitely seems like quartz but strange that it just appeared there lol.
 
I agree it looks like a rock.

Is it actually hard or soft tho?

Maybe red bubble algae? (It exists.)
 
Yeah a nassarius snail just happened to be beside it. Definitely seems like quartz but strange that it just appeared there lol.

I've seen this happen in a lot of tanks over enough time. It's the "Brazil Nut Effect" that brings them to the top.
 
Whenever it happened, the nassarius might have actually been the one to pop it up!
 
IMO then it's just a piece of glass that got caught in the CarbSea tumbler/grinder/sorter along with the usualy material. Harmless. :)
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.6%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 25 18.9%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 42 31.8%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.6%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 15.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new