Small Rescue Collare Butterfly is Sick

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rapid breath is to me, ammonia, ick or velvet.
Most common, ick.
Hard to tell on that fish.
I might run 1.020 which would help him breath.
He’s using the bubbles as “something” is irratating.
I see something just left of the anus.
Again, hard to see.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most common, ick.
Again, hard to see.
Well I'm not ruling anything out yet but I've dealt with velvet multiple times and that's not what it looks like to me, I don't know how ammonia could've built up, ich I'd say is common with these fish but so are flukes...let's keep in mind though that he has probably barely eating anything for over a week

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Flukes is a high ptobability
Most common, ick.
Again, hard to see.
Also pertains to flukes.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Flukes are a high probability. Butterflies are susceptible to flukes and lymphocystis. Regarding flukes, although treatment not as urgent as ich or velvet, it can cause great stress and if in gill or prolonged on fish can cause further issues such as laboring for oxygen, refusing to eat which can weaken fish and its' immune system. When a fish first becomes infected with flukes, there are no immediate indications.
Some common symptoms with flukes that make reefers believe it may be ich or velvet are:
- Rapid breathing and swimming at the water surface. This is due to their inability to extract sufficient oxygen from the water as the flukes attach to their gills
- Lethargy. The fish may become lethargic, hiding amongst the rocks or in a corner of your tank
- Lack of appetite. Fish may eat very little or nothing at all
- Development of clamped fins or frayed fins
- Loss of color to infected area
- Cloudy eyes
- Fish may be flashing against the rockwork to try and dislodge the flukes
- Exhibiting yawning or a have their mouth hanging open in which the fish is trying to process more oxygen exchange when the gills are affected
- Fish may appear to shake it’s head from side to side

As long as fish is NOT distressed, a FW dip is a 4-5 minutes process using dechlorinated tap water or tap water with a pinch of baking soda the same temperature as display tank. It is NOT necessary to use RODI water as it offers no buffering of the water.
After dip, look for what looks like sesame seeds or fish scales on bottom of dip container (you may need flashlight to see them). Those will be flukes

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
T
Flukes are a high probability. Butterflies are ssceptible to flukes and lymphocystis. regarding flukes, although, treatment not as urgent as ich or velvet, it can cause great stress and if in gill or prolonged on fish can cause further issues such as laboring for oxygen, refusing to eat which can weaken fish and its' immune system. When a fish first becomes infected with flukes, there are no immediate indications.
Some common symptoms with flukes that make reefers believe it may be ich or velvet are:
- Rapid breathing and swimming at the water surface. This is due to their inability to extract sufficient oxygen from the water as the flukes attach to their gills
- Lethargy. The fish may become lethargic, hiding amongst the rocks or in a corner of your tank
- Lack of appetite. Fish may eat very little or nothing at all
- Development of clamped fins or frayed fins
- Loss of color to infected area
- Cloudy eyes
- Fish may be flashing against the rockwork to try and dislodge the flukes
- Exhibiting yawning or a have their mouth hanging open in which the fish is trying to process more oxygen exchange when the gills are affected
- Fish may appear to shake it’s head from side to side
That sounds spot on!

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been able to get him to eat a little bit so far so I'm hopeful...again, I got him to rescue him from a shop that doesn't exactly give the best care... I'm 99% sure they've never even tried to offer it or any of their other butterflies anything but cheap artemia pellets

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know it wasn't wise of me to buy a fish I suspected wasn't healthy but I love butterflies and hate to see one in that condition

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you heard of Tremazol? It's supposed to be effective against flukes as well and I can get it here easier.

Tremazol is just Sera's trade name for a praziquantel medication. I've never used it, but the company should have good products.

In the video, the water seems really murky, you need to do water changes and add mechanical filtration to ensure good water quality.

Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure why but I can’t get the videos to load. Odd behavior but not sure it indicative of anything specific.

For the video, try clicking on the attachment, then, when it pops up to load, find the three vertical dots in the lower right, click on that, and then download the file and play it that way.....

Jay

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tremazol is just Sera's trade name for a praziquantel medication. I've never used it, but the company should have good products.

In the video, the water seems really murky, you need to do water changes and add mechanical filtration to ensure good water quality.

Jay
Thanks! The reason for the murky water is because I've been offering him everything I can think of to get him to eat since this is the second day I've had him. Those oysters and clams especially clouded up the water even with me having changed the water at least a few times today. He did eat a little though so that's good...just did another water change while reading your post!

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wasn't sure what was in that medication I asked about earlier so instead I ordered powder praziquantel and ethyl alcohol to help it mix. It will probably be here tomorrow...is there anything I should know about doing it this way? I was just going to try to find a video on YouTube because it sounds not too complicated @Jay Hemdal

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wasn't sure what was in that medication I asked about earlier so instead I ordered powder praziquantel and ethyl alcohol to help it mix. It will probably be here tomorrow...is there anything I should know about doing it this way? I was just going to try to find a video on YouTube because it sounds not too complicated @Jay Hemdal

Be VERY careful using ethanol as a solvent! Even if you use the least amount possible, the carbon loading on the tank will cause a bacterial bloom after a day or two. I've lost fish to this, even with good aeration. I stopped using ethanol as a solvent, I new use a fine mesh brine shrimp net, and wearing gloves, I express/rinse the prazi through it into the tank.

Jay

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be VERY careful using ethanol as a solvent! Even if you use the least amount possible, the carbon loading on the tank will cause a bacterial bloom after a day or two. I've lost fish to this, even with good aeration. I stopped using ethanol as a solvent, I new use a fine mesh brine shrimp net, and wearing gloves, I express/rinse the prazi through it into the tank.

Jay
I actually happen to have some really fine mesh like you're describing. I didn't think of doing it that way...how labor intensive/ how long does it usually take to do it that way? I might try it

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually happen to have some really fine mesh like you're describing. I didn't think of doing it that way...how labor intensive/ how long does it usually take to do it that way? I might try it
It just takes a few minutes. You weigh out the prazi and add it to a dry net. Then, pour some tank water into the net and let it drip into the aquarium. Then, keep adding tank water and pressing on the prazi with your gloved had to force the small particle out into the aquarium. Keep doing that until the net is empty. I sometimes find that there is a bit of residual left, and then, I just invert the net and rinse that off into the tank.

If you do decide to use the ethanol, add it slowly to the prazi, stirring as you go and then stop adding it after all of the prazi is dissolved.

Jay

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It just takes a few minutes. You weigh out the prazi and add it to a dry net. Then, pour some tank water into the net and let it drip into the aquarium. Then, keep adding tank water and pressing on the prazi with your gloved had to force the small particle out into the aquarium. Keep doing that until the net is empty. I sometimes find that there is a bit of residual left, and then, I just invert the net and rinse that off into the tank.

If you do decide to use the ethanol, add it slowly to the prazi, stirring as you go and then stop adding it after all of the prazi is dissolved.

Jay
I think your method sounds a lot smarter than adding alcohol to a small QT tank

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 106 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.6%
Back