Small semi-agressive fish recommendation

Ly78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will like to add a just couple more fishes to my 55g. I have for 5months 1 flame angel 3 azure damsels 2 tailspot blennies . All are real nasty, any new additions dont last a week due to nipping and harassment by all.
Any suggestions? Thanks.
Tried chromis, anthias and strawberry dottyback at different times...none survived. They were quarantined and eating.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try a Meiacanthus species of blenny. They are peaceful, but have a venomous bite, so most tankmates leave them alone.

You could also try a group of Chrysiptera damsels that are a different species than azure, such as talbots, rollands, or springeri. Adding a few will diffuse any aggression.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you used an acclimation box or tank divider? Sometimes aggression stops once the new fish have selected their territory.

If able to could also add more caves to create more hideouts.

Easier said than done but could also remove the main aggressor, add the new fish, after settled add the aggressor back.

Mind you some dwarf angels might think the entire tank is theirs.

PDR

<°)))>{
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 I would definitely use a social acclimation box in a tank with aggressive tank mates.

OP
OP
Ly78

Ly78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gonna give the box a try. Love the flame too much to move it out...as for the damsels no luck catching them heh. Thanks.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sixline wrasse can usually defend themselves and probably too fast/agile for the damsels even. It was my last addition to my semi-aggressive tank.

If you don't have shrimp, a hawkfish may work too.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I normally don't recommend 6 line wrasses, but in this case it just might fit the bill. They can definitely hold their own.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sixline wrasse are evil I’d advise against, heavily.

What about an orchid dottyback?

niQo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Orchid Dottyback can also be a real bully...

OP
OP
Ly78

Ly78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Six lines, more damsels , orchid dottybacks are being considered. Looks like its gonna be pure bullies tank since nothing nice and peaceful will survive in it

Gino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe another Angel, equality in size of your Flame or a little bigger like (Coral Beauty, Rock Beauty, Yellow peel, BiColor, or a pigmi). But an acclimateization box will help you to see how the others behave with the new room mate. A Six Line Wrasse as juvenile are well behave, but as an adult it's a gamble if you got corals, just like the Angels. But definitely, they know how to defend their self. And they are bullies!!! That's why always suggest to add them last among others. A Yellow Watchman Goby with his Pistol Shrimp. They are always close to their cave in the bottom of the tank. If some one try to bother them they will hide in a blink of an eye. But at least in my tank no body care about them. Only my BiColor that he thinks that they are cleaners even is a Cleaner Shrimp in the tank... Buajajaja... What an AH!!!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 17.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 17.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 47 51.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.8%
Back