Small space, doser on its side?

West1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have very little space left in my BC29 stand, is it ok to place a bubble magnus doser on its side (on the wall of the stand)?
I got stuff to make a pullout shelf but changing filter socks or any maintenance in the sump will be such a pain to get too!

Tyvm for any input or suggestions.
ECA28EDF-EE3F-4949-B49C-9F15C41A42F5_zpsyacpnfto.jpg

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For myself when I am finally able to get my build on the go, my whole sump will be on a pull out shelf so I can add shelving above. I have a RSM C-130 and our cabinets look just about the same. it's hard to cram everything in such a small space. Is there any way you can rotate your sump so the skimmer/socks/return are on one side instead of at the back? might free up some space and still make it possible to have half shelves above. Another way would be to add a compartment to both sides of the stand, makes the stand bigger but would also have huge benefits when it comes to future equipment or even storage of your every day things such as food or meds.

Last edited:
OP
OP
West1

West1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent plan, personally if you are drilling mounting holes on the side just make sure there is enough "meat" as it were to hold the weight as the shelf is designed to support weight from the back. Also I would skip the slide out and just mount it directly to the wall using the same slide/hole design they have on the back, easy to do with two different sized drill bits and a file. That way if you want to remove it its just a matter of lifting the shelf up instead of unscrewing it from the slide. It will save you the trouble of sticking a slider in there that will more than likely rust and will have to be replaced again and again. Can't wait to see what you end up doing as it might influence my build when I get around to it lol

OP
OP
West1

West1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hmmm, I totally missed the simple aspect and thought about the slider since I purchased a set for the Sump as you plan (just did not do it). I think I might do some type L bracket for support and still mount it from the side. Idk yet, that's what this thread is for, brainstorming :p

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes keeping it simple is the way to go. and that is exactly what these threads are for. How DIY are you willing to go with this project??

Last edited:

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and BTW there is no reason why you can't mount the doser on its side and not have to use a shelf at all. well aside from maybe an acrylic hanging shelf over the sump as long as it was secure. TONS of options for you atleast

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 42.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 33.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back