Small sump- not much room left for a refugium

ChrisfromBrick

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 29, 2024
Messages
3,564
Reaction score
4,920
Location
Brick, NJ
What state or country do you live in
New Jersey
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Can I place some chaeto and a fuge light in my drain chamber? This may be a duh question but want you fine people to help me as I have never tried a fuge. I am out of room. I have a skimmer, gfo/carbon reactor, heaters, etc in a 10g sump and thats my only option to help me naturally control nitrate (or attempt to). Id rather not continue to dose carbon with vodka and go more natural route.

Theoretically, I dont see any issue whatsoever as chaeto wont move out of there. But maybe someone can speak to this.
 
maybe go for an algae turf scrubber instead, more compact and just as effective, if not more efficient.

I use this IceCap scrubber in my sump, works great, also including some harvest footage: https://amzn.to/4bYMeWF

 
maybe go for an algae turf scrubber instead, more compact and just as effective, if not more efficient.

I use this IceCap scrubber in my sump, works great, also including some harvest footage: https://amzn.to/4bYMeWF


no room for it. I can fit a light and some caeto
 
well.. if you place chaeto in the drain chamber, it will likely become a detritus trap, and the light you use for it will spill into other areas of the sump, causing microalgae to grow as well. I wouldn't recommend it personally.
 
Then you will eventually turn your DT into a refugium.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 7 18.9%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 15 40.5%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 4 10.8%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 8.1%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 4 10.8%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 8.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new