Small Tangs in Small Tanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

pcon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS kept a yellow tang in a 40 Breeder for 18 Months...
BRS also put in a rainbow basslet with quite a few fish it could eat. Should we be putting predatory fish in our displays with small fish because of that?
BRS is often not the model to follow. Great for buying things, average or below on husbandry with fish.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS kept a yellow tang in a 40 Breeder for 18 Months...
Are you as experienced and skilled as they are? How does your stocking levels, filtration, water chemistry and flow compare to theirs?

Just because they didn't also doesn't mean they should.

army446909

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, none of those tangs, or any tang, is fit for a 40 breeder. QT != display. They are not the same thing.

Here, do this for me. Pick up the device that you are reading these forums on. Walk to the nearest closet in your residence. Open the door, turn on the light if you have one, enter, turn around, and close the door. Spend a couple hours in there. When Alexa or your phone's timer says times up, come out here and post about the experience.

Now go to another room be it kitchen, bedroom, walk in closet, den, office, back yard, or anything other than that closet, spend the same 2 hours in there. Once Alexa or whatever timer you have set says time is up come back and post the experience.

You and the tang are now one and I bet you liked the larger environment.
Simmer down tang police

Silentdeath5

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO. Out of all the tangs you listed, you would have the best luck finding a xs sailfin and hippo tang which I feel would be okay in a 40 for a yr. The others usually come medium size already and definitely would not do in anything close to that size especially being in the acanthurus family.

GooseCommander

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea a small tang would be fine. A bristle tooth variety typically can be good for small tanks for awhile. Get a small tomini or white tail (1-2 inches to start, so they have time to grow). A yellow can work if you get him very small as well. I wouldn't recommend any of your suggestions for the size tank, most of them would do best in 6'+ tanks not only for swim room but also for hiding places for them and other inhabitants, acanthurus tangs can be aggressive. Good luck though!

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Simmer down tang police
With all due respect, I'm not sure what this comment accomplishes. Those "Tang Police" are simply trying to convey factual information about a species and the husbandry of that animal. Sure, the example is animated and designed to be illuminating, but I don't know that it warrants telling someone to "simmer down".

I understand the truth is inconvenient. No one can take your tangs away from you- you don't even have to listen to the advice, but that doesn't make what they are saying any less valid.

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since having a tang right now seems somewhat important to you, have you considered a larger tank in the interim? It's not the most attractive option, but beyond just looking at large glass/acrlyic aquariums, have you looked into any of the other temporary containers that can be bought relatively inexpensively (e.g. stock tank)? That way you would also have a pretty sweet sump if you wanted to reuse it :)

OP
OP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
40 Gallons just is a good size because its not to low where stability is an issue and not to big where cost is off the charts

OP
OP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since having a tang right now seems somewhat important to you, have you considered a larger tank in the interim? It's not the most attractive option, but beyond just looking at large glass/acrlyic aquariums, have you looked into any of the other temporary containers that can be bought relatively inexpensively? That way you would also have a pretty sweet sump if you wanted to reuse it :)
So put a blue tang in a 1 gallon container?

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whatever you chose, I wish you and your animals the best of luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back