Small tank / big fish?

Orlando_V

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any way to keep a juvenile Koran or French angelfish in a 30 gallon tank for any length of time?

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any way to keep a juvenile Koran or French angelfish in a 30 gallon tank for any length of time?
You can keep almost anything in a cycled and well filtered 30g tank for a little while. I would imagine it's not something you would want to try for the french angel for more than a handful of months though. Should be able to get at least a year out of the koran if you don't overfeed.

OP
OP
Orlando_V

Orlando_V

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure you can. You can also keep a Great Dane in a closet. It won't have a happy life but it can be done. The real question is: Why would you want to do that?
You can keep almost anything in a cycled and well filtered 30g tank for a little while. I would imagine it's not something you would want to try for the french angel for more than a handful of months though. Should be able to get at least a year out of the koran if you don't overfeed.
Thank you for a great answer.

OP
OP
Orlando_V

Orlando_V

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for a well thought out answer.

OP
OP
Orlando_V

Orlando_V

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No unless you are getting a very large tank in the near future. Sorry they are fast growers, especially the French
Thanks, yeah, that is what I was thinking might be the case. Do you know of any angels that might be suitable?

OP
OP
Orlando_V

Orlando_V

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I guess it would have to be a temporary stepping stone to work, not a forever home. Thank you very much.

FishRN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could get away with most of the dwarf angels in a 30 gallon for awhile. A flame back or cherub angel would probably be fine in a 30 gallon for life just make sure to have lots of loaded live rock.

OP
OP
Orlando_V

Orlando_V

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would be a good minimum size gallons for a Koran?

OP
OP
Orlando_V

Orlando_V

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure you can. You can also keep a Great Dane in a closet. It won't have a happy life but it can be done. The real question is: Why would you want to do that?
The answer to your question is that my space is limited but every since my first Koran in the 1980's I've always wanted to get another one but wasn't sure if it was feasible in practice for a smallish tank like a 30. No, no Great Danes in closets.

OP
OP
Orlando_V

Orlando_V

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The answer to your question is that my space is limited but every since my first Koran in the 1980's I've always wanted to get another one but wasn't sure if it was feasible in practice for a smallish tank like a 30. No, no Great Danes in closets.
Also, ever since I saw a juvenille French angel swimming in a sort of cay in Puerto Rico, I've always liked that breed.

chipchipbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
why do you even ask that question when you already decided that you will get one either way? Sounds like you feel guilty already and want to hear someone telling you that it isnt that bad.

Well ofcourse it is possible. But it is not enough space for the natural behavior for that fish.

just my 0.02

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 150 88.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back