Small white eggs on zoa ID

starypotter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, when picking up my frag I noticed that one of the polyps on my zoa was covered in these little white eggs. I'm taking a peek at my other zoas and haven't seen any on them yet. I know that dips don't usually work on eggs. What are they and what should I do?

CUC includes-
ReefCleaners Cleaner pack with snails and hermits.
Ghost, skunk, blood, and peppermint shrimps.

Parameters,
Nitrate- 0
Phosphate .25

Corals, GHA, Cyano, and macro algae abundantly growing.
No fish yet. Throw in some fish food every once in a while, 2-3 days, to feed shrimps.

Not all corals were dipped. This particular one was, but there is one zoa colony, and one GSP island that were not dipped as I had gotten them from another local reefer.
This is the best image I can get right now. I could turn my blues off if needed.
IMG_1028.JPG
IMG_1030.JPG
IMG_1032.JPG

OP
OP
starypotter

starypotter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No dips that I know of get eggs. That said, that looks like a really bad case of zoa pox to me.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/zoa-pox-treatment.105981/
Okay looking into that. But the whole colony does open up, and it's growing. With that said they are definitely pimple like. I'm moving them to a floating container in the tank and will go in there basting and swishing for water movement every so often and whatnot until I get confirmation to avoid any further contamination since I just irritated it with looking.

OP
OP
starypotter

starypotter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like the large mass could be sponge.
I'd love to hear any suggestions that aren't zoa pox, could a sponge be pimple like? I took a closer look to see if it was just an egg on the surface and tried to see if it could be removed and it just... turned to pus when I tried to pluck at it.

OP
OP
starypotter

starypotter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay question that's not answered in that thread then. So I've read that you need to treat all of the colonies. But that linked thread also mentions QT. What procedure do I have to take with that it doesn't explain.

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure what the lifecycle is of zoa pox. Ideally you remove all zoas and treat them all until no signs of disease are present for at least a couple weeks.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 37.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 24.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 20.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 9 17.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back