Zoa Pox treatment

danimal1211

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like other coral aficionados, zoanthid lovers take special care to insure the happiness and well being of their beloved polyps. Finding the right combination of water flow and lighting, maintaining stable water parameters and allowing colonies be left alone are often enough to be rewarded by steady growth. While it can be debated whether or not zoanthids are an ideal beginner coral, given the above conditions, they tend to thrive and proliferate. Few can argue the vivid colors and seemingly endless variety make them one of the most popular reef additions. Like other corals though, zoanthids and palythoa aren't without their pests and diseases that aquarists must keep a vigilant eye for.

An unfortunate ailment for zoanthid lovers is known rather unaffectionately as Zoa Pox. So how do you know whether a colony has Zoa Pox or not? Zoa Pox are small pimple-like pustules that will appear on the stalk and mat of zoanthids and palythoa (see figure 1). The pox tend to irritate the polyp and even in early stages the polyp will not fully open. At advanced stages, more pustules will form and eventually the afflicted polyps will remain closed. If left untreated, the colony will most likely parish and the disease can spread to other colonies. While the causes aren't completely understood, early detection and proper treatment can greatly improve c
hances for survival.

zoa pox.jpg

(figure 1 From zoaid.com)

Many reef aquarists have been left baffled and frustrated as they watch their beloved colonies suffer and die. Trying various coral dips, medicated treatments, etc. without much success. One treatment that has proven very successful though is API's Furan 2. This treatment has been successful for even advanced cases of Zoa Pox and to date seems to be the "go to" treatment that most prefer. A quick Google search will lead you to countless threads on the subject and provide proof of it's effectiveness, however, for the sake of this discussion the treatment is listed as follows. But first a word of caution. Quarantining any coral or fish afflicted with an ailment is always the safest way to insure no other organisms are negatively affected by the ailment itself or the treatment. If you're not able to quarantine, take special care to observe all other colonies in your aquarium to ensure none become infected.

Treatment

1. Mix a fresh batch of saltwater. It is preferable to use freshly mixed saltwater as apposed to water from your tank to ensure anything that may be causing the ailment in the first place isn't included in treatment. Take special care to match the temperature, salinity and PH of the aquarium that the colony is kept in during treatment.

2. Take one cup of fresh saltwater and mix one packet of Furan 2. Use a container small enough to insure that the colony is completely submerged. Larger colonies will require more water for the treatment so keep the ration of water : Furan 2 the same. Keep an additional container of untreated saltmix on hand for rinsing.

3. Place your colony in the mix and let soak for 15-20 minutes. Do not exceed 30 minutes.

4. After the dip, rinse the colony in the second container of untreated saltwater and place back into the aquarium (again a separate quarantine tank is suggested).

5. Let the colony rest for 24 hours and repeat steps 1-4 for two more days.

After the third treatment it is advised to let the colony rest for 1 week and monitor its condition. If you feel that the condition hasn't improved, another round of treatments should continue as per above.

As with all diseases and infections, unfortunately there will most likely never be a 100% success rate, however, thanks to those that found this treatment our chances are greatly improved. Best of luck to all who have to deal with this unfortunate disease, and happy reefing.

zoa pox.jpg

Tsev03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it ok to do this treatment on a big rock filled with zoas? I have a monti, gsp and a feather duster on the rock too.

Thespammailaccount

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is there any in tank treatment. I can't get all the zoas off of the rocks.
Furan 2 is used to kill bacterial infections however I am not certain if it will kill beneficial bacteria. Can you pull the rocks and treat out side of the tank in a separate container?

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Furan 2 is used to kill bacterial infections however I am not certain if it will kill beneficial bacteria. Can you pull the rocks and treat out side of the tank in a separate container?
Yes, fortunately it can be removed. I just found out that Furan 2 has been discontinued by the FDA, so now I need to find out what else I can use. (I started a new thread on that)

Thespammailaccount

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, fortunately it can be removed. I just found out that Furan 2 has been discontinued by the FDA, so now I need to find out what else I can use. (I started a new thread on that)
I had a colony with zoa pox and treated with furan 2 and it worked wonders. I took the colony and popped the cysts underwater in a separate container with tank water with a needle right before the first treatment. Once done with treatment I placed in high flow. I did not have to do a second round of treatment

zoaprince

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Indeed Furan 2 will kill beneficial bacteria as well. It says so on the box.

Anyways, looks like it's been discontinued? Makes sense as to why it's not available online anymore.

Just John

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I’m kinda high jacking here but I need some opinions - my poochster Zoas are closed and....IS THIS ZOA POX? I’m new to keeping Zoas....any advice is welcome!
060F0AB3-8EC4-436E-9FF5-37520F2B9F4E.jpeg
If no one else replies, you might want to start a new "is this zoa pox" thread so someone with more experience can see it. I don't see any strong evidence of them personally. The white spots are so tiny that even if it is zoa pox I don't think they would close from it right now. It would be a very early stage. Here is what I have and they still open. They are closed because this is right after I turned the lights on.
1622242558139.png

casscoker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may be a dumb question, but do zoa pox cause anything that would kill fish? I am sure that the pox themselves wouldn't do anything to cause harm to the fish but do the zoas release any chemicals that can kill fish due to the infection?

Just John

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may be a dumb question, but do zoa pox cause anything that would kill fish? I am sure that the pox themselves wouldn't do anything to cause harm to the fish but do the zoas release any chemicals that can kill fish due to the infection?
I don't think so. At lest I have never heard of anything like that.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 36.4%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 20.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 20.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back