Smallest required tank for 2 clownfish?

Kapachuka3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a 32.5 gallon saltwater tank and I was planning on getting a small maybe 5 gallon tank that I would hope be enough for 2 clownfish?

would that work for 2 clownfish and maybe an anemone?

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a 32.5 gallon saltwater tank and I was planning on getting a small maybe 5 gallon tank that I would hope be enough for 2 clownfish?

No I would not do that, the fish would have no room, and the anemone grow big too, it would be issue after issue IMO.

TriggersAmuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
christmas-snowglobe-hands-girl-s-127781533.jpg

OP
OP
Kapachuka3

Kapachuka3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

No I would not do that, the fish would have no room, and the anemone grow big too, it would be issue after issue IMO.
Ok I shall not do that

TriggersAmuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 2 foot, 15 gallon tank might be sufficient for a clown pair, and you *might* get away with an anemone in it (only the smaller species.....aka bubble tip or rock anemones, which don't host clowns). This assumes you have good reef husbandry practices and can maintain a stable environment. My 14 gallon cube is an anemone specific tank, but it is not without its challenges.

EvanDeVita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 2 foot, 15 gallon tank might be sufficient for a clown pair, and you *might* get away with an anemone in it (only the smaller species.....aka bubble tip or rock anemones, which don't host clowns). This assumes you have good reef husbandry practices and can maintain a stable environment. My 14 gallon cube is an anemone specific tank, but it is not without its challenges.
BTA do host clowns....

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Too small long term. My female clown is pushing 3 inches now.

My biggest BTA touches the back of the tank which is 24 inches deep.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also feel that the smallest tank of a pair of smaller clown species like Percula, Ocellaris or Pink Skunk, with or without an anemone, would be a 20 gal tank. Larger species like Maroon or Clarkii need a 40 gal breeder minimal.

EvanDeVita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also feel that the smallest tank of a pair of smaller clown species like Percula, Ocellaris or Pink Skunk, with or without an anemone, would be a 20 gal tank. Larger species like Maroon or Clarkii need a 40 gal breeder minimal.
Agreed. However for a short while (a month or two) baby’s would do fine until they start to grow- don’t you think?

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Upgrade tend not to happen. If I wanted a 65 gal tank, I just get a 65 gal tank. That would be the cheapest. There is no need to get a 10 or 20 gal, then upgrade to a 65 gal in 3-6 month, or a year.
If there is any restriction from whatever cause, cost, space, inability to take care of larger tank and ...,... the restriction will, in almost all case, will continue to be there in 3,6 or 12 months. Because of this reason, planned upgrade almost never happened.

Each of us know our own situation. I never start a tank, then plan to upgrade in less than 2 years. All the tanks I started are permanent except 1. I did set up one of my 20 gal tank at my son's second grade class. This tank was up for 9 months. Start at the begin of the year, and got taken down at the end of the year. My son and I manage the tank ourselves. I only require the teacher who cleared it with the Principal to leave the air conditioner to the class on 24/7. All of this was planned when I first set up the tank.

We had a pair of Onyx Percula, and ultra Crocea and a small Gigantea in it. It was a beautiful set up, was the talk of the school for a long time.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Upgrade tend not to happen. If I wanted a 65 gal tank, I just get a 65 gal tank. That would be the cheapest. There is no need to get a 10 or 20 gal, then upgrade to a 65 gal in 3-6 month, or a year.
If there is any restriction from whatever cause, cost, space, inability to take care of larger tank and ...,... the restriction will, in almost all case, will continue to be there in 3,6 or 12 months. Because of this reason, planned upgrade almost never happened.

Each of us know our own situation. I never start a tank, then plan to upgrade in less than 2 years. All the tanks I started are permanent except 1. I did set up one of my 20 gal tank at my son's second grade class. This tank was up for 9 months. Start at the begin of the year, and got taken down at the end of the year. My son and I manage the tank ourselves. I only require the teacher who cleared it with the Principal to leave the air conditioner to the class on 24/7. All of this was planned when I first set up the tank.

We had a pair of Onyx Percula, and ultra Crocea and a small Gigantea in it. It was a beautiful set up, was the talk of the school for a long time.

I agree, if an upgrade is on the cards why not wait for the upgrade if it’s only a short while away. Chances are it’s not.

Back