Smart Buddy. Why didn't I do this sooner?

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I knew I had low water pressure to the house. Like real low. I've always hooked my BRS RO/DI unit to the faucet of my deep sink in the laundry room to make water because to be honest, I was doubtful of my prowess as a plumber to hard plumb into the water line.

After watching Thomas at BRS brag on the Smart Buddy and seeing some really good reviews, I pulled the trigger and bought one. I knew I would be hard plumbing, but I still had the problem of having to put it in the laundry room (the closest place with a drain for waste water) where making 75+ gallons at a time just gets in the way and is inconvenient.

I asked the wise members of R2R if it would be possible to run the waste line from the shop/equipment room, through the ceiling to the nearest floor drain and VOILA! Works like a champ. A float switch on the reservoirs turns off the Smart Buddy when full so there's no water wasted and I don't have to monitor it.

A quick trip to the plumbing supply store and some guidance from the very helpful customer service rep made tapping into the water line in the shop a snap. I've gone from less than 50 PSI to the RO membrane to a steady 90 PSI. Even when water is being used elsewhere. I have honestly gone from having a 1/10ish fresh to waste water ratio to between a 1/1 to 1/2 ratio and I'm making water at an MUCH faster rate.

When trying something new and different, I'm the kind of guy that has to screw it up twice before I can ever get it right. Kind of explains why I was so reluctant to take this kind of plunge, but this was almost idiot proof (I got a couple of the hoses backward the first time). :)

Since taking this plunge, life has become considerably easier, hopefully the water bill will go down, and my wife loves me a little bit more for not having wheeled Brute trashcans in the laundry room. I'm sure there has to be a down side to this, but so far I haven't seen it. If anyone has words of caution, please let me know.

Just thought I'd put this out there for anyone like me who has wasted too much time, effort and money on "good enough" when a little self confidence and some help from our R2R colleagues can make life SO much easier.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Auquanut

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah. The Smart Buddy. Guess I should edit the post. Do you have one?

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a friend who wanted to help me hook my rodi up under my bathroom or kitchen sink. He said super easy and seemed confident but i very hesitant. Lol
I make water.from my garden tap. 70psi. Good job though! Hope its easier for you here on out.
D

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 33.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 16.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back