Smart plug power bar with email notifications

I_Got_Crabs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking into getting a smart wifi power bar like the Wion surge protector that allows you set timers for individual outlets, monitor energy usage, and turn on/off switches remotely over the internet.

Does anyone know if there is a smart bar that sends email notifications when theres a surge or drop in power usage (notifying potential equipment failure).

I haven't been able to find a bar, but did find a smart plug that appears to have this feature:

https://www.edimax.com/edimax/merch...x/global/home_automation_smart_plug/sp-2101w/

Would also love to hear anyone's experiences applying this type of tech to reefing.

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bump_zpsd30545d0.gif

rock_lobster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking into getting a smart wifi power bar like the Wion surge protector that allows you set timers for individual outlets, monitor energy usage, and turn on/off switches remotely over the internet.

Does anyone know if there is a smart bar that sends email notifications when theres a surge or drop in power usage (notifying potential equipment failure).

I haven't been able to find a bar, but did find a smart plug that appears to have this feature:

https://www.edimax.com/edimax/merch...x/global/home_automation_smart_plug/sp-2101w/

Would also love to hear anyone's experiences applying this type of tech to reefing.

mine never really go out they just freeze up but keep using power im guessing.

RWS6605

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered the TP-Link power bar. Since there is an app I imagine there may be some notification settings you could choose from.

I am just tired of all the individual timers that take up way too much space and time trying to program. Amazon had these one sale so why not?
https://www.tp-link.com/us/products/details/cat-5516_HS300.html

We’ll find out in a couple days just how well this works!

OP
OP
I_Got_Crabs

I_Got_Crabs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered the TP-Link power bar. Since there is an app I imagine there may be some notification settings you could choose from.

I am just tired of all the individual timers that take up way too much space and time trying to program. Amazon had these one sale so why not?

That looks promising. Keep me posted!

RWS6605

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it came in today and set up took less than 5 minutes including programming timers.
IMG_1549.JPG

I had to get some extension plugs and a three way adapter because I have more pieces of equipment than outlets. I may be getting a second one if this works as well as it appears to be.

For now I grouped a couple things that remain on such as heater and power heads.
IMG_1550.JPG

A cool feature is the app interface. Very easy and intuitive. A nice thing is you can manually turn on/off the outlets such as the return pump and then set a timer to countdown and then turn it back on/off. Sort of making a feeding mode.
IMG_1551.JPG

OP
OP
I_Got_Crabs

I_Got_Crabs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it came in today and set up took less than 5 minutes including programming timers.
IMG_1549.JPG

I had to get some extension plugs and a three way adapter because I have more pieces of equipment than outlets. I may be getting a second one if this works as well as it appears to be.

For now I grouped a couple things that remain on such as heater and power heads.
IMG_1550.JPG

A cool feature is the app interface. Very easy and intuitive. A nice thing is you can manually turn on/off the outlets such as the return pump and then set a timer to countdown and then turn it back on/off. Sort of making a feeding mode.
IMG_1551.JPG
That is cool. You could even have timed feeding mode synchronized with an automatic fish feed when you are on vacation. Any email notification or way to see power consumption remotely? Basically, I want to be able to see if the power is off at my house when Im on vacation...

RWS6605

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is cool. You could even have timed feeding mode synchronized with an automatic fish feed when you are on vacation. Any email notification or way to see power consumption remotely? Basically, I want to be able to see if the power is off at my house when Im on vacation...

It is hooked to my WiFi and runs remotely with the app. So I think you could tell if power is out if it doesn’t sync. I imagine there are notifications you would get. Also there is a live power usage for each outlet.

cb76c9c44841b7f63adfde86de75f0ce.jpg

There are other devices like cameras that you can hook up too. Would be nice to actually see the tank if your away!!

delandreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you still using the wifi power strip? Had any issues with connectivity?

RWS6605

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you still using the wifi power strip? Had any issues with connectivity?

Sorry all. Haven’t been on R2R for a while. But yes I am still using it. In fact just today I installed a second strip. Amazon had them on sale again.

Now everything has it’s own plug. Was able to create some groups for similar features such as the powerheads.

Just wish the cord was a little longer but other than that. Has been working fabulously.

sbidny

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not been able to find any sort of notification feature for the Kasa smart power bar. Has anyone else run into this?

I have, however, found that the TOPGREENER products available on Amazon allow for notifications for much cheaper than the product linked in the first post.

For this to work, you need to link the outlet to the Smart Life app, not the TOPGREENER one. Both apps seem to be made by the same company, but the Smart Life app has an additional feature to support smart automation, which seems to be lacking from the other app.

With this feature, you can alert on current, power, voltage, outlet state, etc.

TOPGREENER Smart Mini Wi-Fi Plug with Energy Monitoring, Smart Outlet, Control Lights and Appliances from Anywhere, No Hub Required, Works with Alexa and Google Assistant, TGWF115PRM, 2-Pack https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D8YVFN7/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_VHk1CbEV057EV

TOPGREENER Smart Outlet with Energy Monitoring, 15A, 1800W, No Hub Required, Works with Alexa and Google Assistant, 2-Pack https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FDFLFJL/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_nIk1CbVDQWZFJ

TOPGREENER Smart Mini Wi-Fi Plug with Energy Monitoring, Mini Smart Outlet, Control Lights and Appliances from Anywhere, No Hub Required, Works with Alexa and Google Assistant, TGWF115PQM, 2-Pack https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D8ZVJN2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_UIk1Cb3MJ7REH

sbidny

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, in my continued testing of the TOPGREENER smart outlets, I seem to have run into an issue that will prevent me from being able to use these going forward. I have an email out to their support to confirm.

It appears that the default behavior of these TOPGREENER outlets when power resumes after a loss of power is to be off. I need the outlets to return to their prior state, or in the worst case, default to on. Defaulting to off is a deal killer for me.

I have tested this on three outlets, two of the same style and one of a different style.

sbidny

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heard back from TOPGREENER. Their default mode after a power outage is indeed off, so these will be of no use to me. I wonder if any other outlets are compatible with the Smart Life app, which I quite like.

RWS6605

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heard back from TOPGREENER. Their default mode after a power outage is indeed off, so these will be of no use to me. I wonder if any other outlets are compatible with the Smart Life app, which I quite like.

We recently had a power outage. I did not get a notification of the outage but I was able to see it remotely. A neighbor asked if our power was out. Sure enough it was. I think that would be an easy notification that they could code.

It was nice to see that the strip returned to the program it left. Didn’t have to be reset.

sbidny

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We recently had a power outage. I did not get a notification of the outage but I was able to see it remotely. A neighbor asked if our power was out. Sure enough it was. I think that would be an easy notification that they could code.

It was nice to see that the strip returned to the program it left. Didn’t have to be reset.

Notification after a power outage would be great, but really, I just need the outlets to return to their prior state after power loss. Seems like a massive oversight to not include this.

FlyPenFly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Supposedly this one defaults back to on.

I would be interested in one that has a soft start feature that is easy on skimmer pumps and expensive wave controllers.

sbidny

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Supposedly this one defaults back to on.

I would be interested in one that has a soft start feature that is easy on skimmer pumps and expensive wave controllers.

It does, but the app is lacking in features. Specifically, you can’t create alerts / notifications for power, voltage, or current. This is also not possible via IFTTT.

I like the Kasa hardware, but they need to be improving their software.

The Smart Life app does at least support notifications, but I’m still searching for the right hardware to use with it. My understanding is that Kasa is not compatible with Smart Life.

FlyPenFly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does, but the app is lacking in features. Specifically, you can’t create alerts / notifications for power, voltage, or current. This is also not possible via IFTTT.

I like the Kasa hardware, but they need to be improving their software.

The Smart Life app does at least support notifications, but I’m still searching for the right hardware to use with it. My understanding is that Kasa is not compatible with Smart Life.

Got ya, from a practical standpoint, I can't do anything about a power outage other than my circulation pumps going on battery power.

sbidny

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got ya, from a practical standpoint, I can't do anything about a power outage other than my circulation pumps going on battery power.

I’m thinking even outside of a power outage. Would be nice to know, for example, if a heater is starting to draw current outside of its spec. Then you could take action preemptively. Apex and Profilux already support this, but I run Reef Angel, which doesn’t. Was hoping to find something to supplement this.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 113 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back