Smart Return Pump, Dumb Person...

Leisuretron

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Help!

I’m stocking my Reefer 170 and have purchased the “Syncra SDC 3.0 WiFi Controllable Pump” I’m now leaning towards Neptune’s Apex Controller. Should I return the Syncra and get the “COR-15 Intelligent Return Pump Neptune Systems”? Or, Should I stick with it as I think I’ve seen that they are compatible? I really like the smart features of the Syncra but if I roll with the Apex should I not stay OEM because of UI and usefulness?

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can integrate your Sicce Sincra SDC 3.0 pump with Neptune's IOTA platform and control it just like a COR 15 or COR 20. This is all unnecessary if you buy into the neptune ecosystem and adopt a COR pump. I guess this depends on what your long term goals are.

Personally I like my return pump to be independent and free from any and all outside influences.

OP
OP
Leisuretron

Leisuretron

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can integrate your Sicce Sincra SDC 3.0 pump with Neptune's IOTA platform and control it just like a COR 15 or COR 20. This is all unnecessary if you buy into the neptune ecosystem and adopt a COR pump. I guess this depends on what your long term goals are.

Personally I like my return pump to be independent and free from any and all outside influences.
When you say, “independent and free from any and all outside influences”, do you mean free standing pump or pump within the ecosystem?

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you say, “independent and free from any and all outside influences”, do you mean free standing pump or pump within the ecosystem?
No. I mean a pump that is not dependent on an ecosystem. Something that cannot fail because the ecosystem fails or has a communication error. This could be a COR 20 that is not powered by or connected to the Apex or any pump that is independently powered outside of the ecosystem. Not on a PowerBar not even on the same circuit.

OP
OP
Leisuretron

Leisuretron

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. I mean a pump that is not dependent on an ecosystem. Something that cannot fail because the ecosystem fails or has a communication error. This could be a COR 20 that is not powered by or connected to the Apex or any pump that is independently powered outside of the ecosystem. Not on a PowerBar not even on the same circuit.
Wow! This is getting very meta. So, either keep the Syncra and run it independently of the Apex thus losing some compatibility or get the Cor 15 and “let” it be controlled and add an additional redundant “offline” return pump?

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! This is getting very meta. So, either keep the Syncra and run it independently of the Apex thus losing some compatibility or get the Cor 15 and “let” it be controlled and add an additional redundant “offline” return pump?
Haha sorry. Keep the syncra or get a COR 20. Both will allow you to run them independently or integrate.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair of Sicce SDC 6.0 and 9.0 pumps. I have them setup through IOTA so I can control them with my Apex, ie: rather than turning the outlets and pumps on and off, I can just ramp down the speed for feeding, maintenance, etc.

This can also be automated or triggered manually through the fusion app. If the Apex fails or disconnects (happened), the Sicce pumps retain their last speed setting from the Apex (so they don't spin up to 100% or drop to 0%).

I like Sicce as they come with a 5-year warranty, and have been rock solid so far. But the COR are also fairly decent pumps from what I've heard from other owners.

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
C9ntrolling your return pump with an apex just adds a potential cause of failure with no real benefit. We ran return pumps without any controll besides on and off for years without issues.

OP
OP
Leisuretron

Leisuretron

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

On that note, I took your advice as having a pump only controlled by the Apex doesn't make sense for redundancy. I did add another pump though. My thought process is I have one to my return and another to my Pentair UV running around 40gph. I can swap one for the return if it goes down as a backup. Being that it is a Reefer 170 and this is my sump size running them at an angle without the intake ok?
IMG_4905.jpg

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On that note, I took your advice as having a pump only controlled by the Apex doesn't make sense for redundancy. I did add another pump though. My thought process is I have one to my return and another to my Pentair UV running around 40gph. I can swap one for the return if it goes down as a backup. Being that it is a Reefer 170 and this is my sump size running them at an angle without the intake ok?
IMG_4905.jpg
Running them at an angel like that is fine. The wide open intake can be a bit risky over time as things start to populate your sump. Maybe try these 1 inch fipt low profile strainers. I think they are the correct size for your varios2 pumps.

Lifegard Aquatics 1" Fit Low Profile Strainer

Looking good.

OP
OP
Leisuretron

Leisuretron

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Running them at an angel like that is fine. The wide open intake can be a bit risky over time as things start to populate your sump. Maybe try these 1 inch fipt low profile strainers. I think they are the correct size for your varios2 pumps.

Lifegard Aquatics 1" Fit Low Profile Strainer

Looking good.

Order placed! I have a 3D printer and PETG too but with work, kids, reading up on things I want to do with my tank, life can get busy. Thank you. Hopefully they work, otherwise I can print something later.

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Order placed! I have a 3D printer and PETG too but with work, kids, reading up on things I want to do with my tank, life can get busy. Thank you. Hopefully they work, otherwise I can print something later.
They end up fitting?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back