smatfarm LED questions

ajiisss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I was looking at the smatfarm LEDs. I have few questions about it.

1) Can I connect it to my KASA power switch and use the switch to control on off timings? Like I don't want to use the timers built into it.
That way I can control the on off time with app.

2) When power is lost will the channel settings reset it self? or only time and date is resetted?

3) How does it compare to NIcrew LED light . Nicrew hyper reef seems to have more good reviews than smatfarm yet forums mentions smatfarm is superior.

4) Also what is an ideal setting on each channel for the light for LPS & softies only if any one using it?(can share if you SPS as well)

Could any one help?

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've owned nicrews and currently use smat farm. IME smat farm hands down. The nicrew can drop some decent par for the 150w model. Down side is that control is lacking, only can adjust white or blue channel and you need a separate controller for timer function. More reviews for nicrew because its been around longer.

Smat farm has built in timer w/ ramp up & ramp down. Also more individual channel control, IIRC you can control 6 channels total.

Search, there are mega threads for both lights here for more info.

My settings are below for max brightness in sunlight on schedule for 'mix' mode and I use 2x of the smat farm in an hybrid T5 application on a 4 ft tank. I also have a single over a 24x24 cube. I use the timer instead of an outlet switch to power off overnight.

PXL_20230206_004353322.jpg

OP
OP
A

ajiisss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've owned nicrews and currently use smat farm. IME smat farm hands down. The nicrew can drop some decent par for the 150w model. Down side is that control is lacking, only can adjust white or blue channel and you need a separate controller for timer function. More reviews for nicrew because its been around longer.

Smat farm has built in timer w/ ramp up & ramp down. Also more individual channel control, IIRC you can control 6 channels total.

Search, there are mega threads for both lights here for more info.

My settings are below for max brightness in sunlight on schedule for 'mix' mode and I use 2x of the smat farm in an hybrid T5 application on a 4 ft tank. I also have a single over a 24x24 cube. I use the timer instead of an outlet switch to power off overnight.

PXL_20230206_004353322.jpg
Thankyou for the settings. follow up question. Will the settings remain same even if the light lose power from source ? Can i overiride the timers? say I want to turn it on when I want it outside the timer ?

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, on the timer for the smat farm. It wont 'loose' settings when power is lost but its designed to use the internal timer. Thus you have to set it up to practically use it with their internal timer to use it anyway. You cant just do one setting and forget it.

If you want to control off and on from a outlet use the nicrew. But then you wont get ramping or multiple channel control. The nicrew in its basic form is a on/off light, true set it and forget it.

OP
OP
A

ajiisss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, on the timer for the smat farm. It wont 'loose' settings when power is lost but its designed to use the internal timer. Thus you have to set it up to practically use it with their internal timer to use it anyway. You cant just do one setting and forget it.

If you want to control off and on from a outlet use the nicrew. But then you wont get ramping or multiple channel control. The nicrew in its basic form is a on/off light, true set it and forget it.
THankyou ! which light is visually good when turned on?

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You cannot control smatfarm with on/off. Every time it is turned back on it cycled through each channel 0-100%. There is no reason to not use the timer function, works very well and it the whole point of using LEDs

OP
OP
A

ajiisss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You cannot control smatfarm with on/off. Every time it is turned back on it cycled through each channel 0-100%. There is no reason to not use the timer function, works very well and it the whole point of using LEDs
SO lets say you have guest and you want to show him the tank how do you turn it on?

OP
OP
A

ajiisss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your lights are naturally in an off cycle your guest misses out, I would make a light cycle (day and night) and stick to it
What I found is if you chose the mode "instant" it can be turned off and on using a power switch . Yes it does cycle through all the lights during a power on but that's only for few seconds

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
There is a "dimmer" setting. I have mine set to turn lights up to my optimal photography settings, rather than using it as a dimmer. Works really well if you do it that way. You could also use this to "turn on" when you want to show off the tank.

OP
OP
A

ajiisss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a "dimmer" setting. I have mine set to turn lights up to my optimal photography settings, rather than using it as a dimmer. Works really well if you do it that way. You could also use this to "turn on" when you want to show off the tank.
Yes I think they renamed it as "instant"

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 40 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.3%
Back