Viparspectra vs Smatfarm?

megtrax17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I’m considering switching my viparspectra lights to Smatfarm. The vipar is just so bulky and mounting them is always super annoying. I wanna stay budget friendly on my lights while having my corals still thrive. They’re doing fantastic under vipar so I’m nervous to switch. Should I stay the same or switch? Or consider another cheaper brand.

I have a very mixed reef system going.

I currently only have one vipar but need more spread and will need to tear apart my canopy to reposition the current light to add another. Also considering wanting to ditch the canopy all together which would require thinner less bulky lighting.

IMG_8422.png IMG_8419.png

I’m wanting more lighting on the sides

IMG_8423.jpeg

Last edited:

TehBrainz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would question why you want to switch if they're working for you and already mounted, mounting being the main pain point to want to switch.

I think you did find a reason to make a small frag tank and test the light on that! :)

Just make sure you report back to us!

OP
OP
megtrax17

megtrax17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would question why you want to switch if they're working for you and already mounted, mounting being the main pain point to want to switch.

I think you did find a reason to make a small frag tank and test the light on that! :)

Just make sure you report back to us!
So I need to add another one because the spread isn’t enough on my 40b. So I have to completely remount and build my canopy if I add another so I’m considering switching or just sticking with it and rebuilding my canopy/mount

(I updated the post with this info since I did forget to add why!)

Joel Kingsland

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got the Smatfarm lights. I did get the model above the one shown. I absolutely love them. They dont have all the toys/app as the more expensive lights, but they do have the function of having one light as the master and the other as slaves. This allows you to adjust one light and the others will automatically adjust to the same settings. The also have sunrise and sunset, as well as moonlight modes. Far more adjustable than the Viparspectras. They have 6 channels for adjusting the light spectrum. Great shimmer as well.

OP
OP
megtrax17

megtrax17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got the Smatfarm lights. I did get the model above the one shown. I absolutely love them. They dont have all the toys/app as the more expensive lights, but they do have the function of having one light as the master and the other as slaves. This allows you to adjust one light and the others will automatically adjust to the same settings. The also have sunrise and sunset, as well as moonlight modes. Far more adjustable than the Viparspectras. They have 6 channels for adjusting the light spectrum. Great shimmer as well.
I’m hearing lots of great reviews on the shimmer aspect. I also loved the many features it has compared to the vipar. Are your corals doing well?

Joel Kingsland

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cannot say just yet. I literally got them about a week ago. So far they seem to be liking them.
like many lights the vipars lie to talk about their wattage, but then I see everyone setting them to 65% to keep from burning the corals.

OP
OP
megtrax17

megtrax17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cannot say just yet. I literally got them about a week ago. So far they seem to be liking them.
Well I’m glad to hear it’s working so far at least! I’d be more concerned if everything was closed up or bleached after a week. So that sounds like good so far for you!!

OP
OP
megtrax17

megtrax17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One viper is plenty for a 40. Either raise the light or remove some lenses to get more spread.
I’ve considered removing the lenses but I heard it lessons the par? It feels like the spread is awful. It’s either blasting too much in the middle for the corals on the sides to get light or it’s too low and hardly any light on the sides. My corals on the sides are strongly reaching towards the center and my Hollywood stunner has turned sort of brownish grey (two examples I have on the sides). My lights at about 60%

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 21 13.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 91 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.0%
Back