OP
Smite

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Side shots from today. The wrasse don't keep a tidy bed :)
DSC_0012.jpg
DSC_0011.jpg

Matt elvira

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! It was a lot of work but glad its near complete now. I just need to hook up my fans and grills under there and I'll be good.

Are you worried about humidity? You should be good without the fans. I live in Arizona and my stand only has holes on the back side..no fans no issues.

OP
OP
Smite

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you worried about humidity? You should be good without the fans. I live in Arizona and my stand only has holes on the back side..no fans no issues.
Yes humidity but mostly heat. All the electrical and equipment make it pretty warm down there. My thought is to pull cool air from below and past the equipment and sump to help cool the whole tank down. Currently no fans are hooked up and my tank hit 82 when my house was 70-71. Probably due to the oversized equipment and lighting but I can still feel a temp increase under the stand. I added a house fan pointed towards the lights and it stayed around 80.5.

Matt elvira

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah
Yes humidity but mostly heat. All the electrical and equipment make it pretty warm down there. My thought is to pull cool air from below and past the equipment and sump to help cool the whole tank down. Currently no fans are hooked up and my tank hit 82 when my house was 70-71. Probably due to the oversized equipment and lighting but I can still feel a temp increase under the stand. I added a house fan pointed towards the lights and it stayed around 80.5.

Yeah makes sense. Hopefully you can get the temp lower than 80 by doing that. Ideally you want the fan to hit the top of the water to cool it down. But if you do a push pull fan configuration it should achieve the same. I'll follow along to see your progress though

OP
OP
Smite

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah

Yeah makes sense. Hopefully you can get the temp lower than 80 by doing that. Ideally you want the fan to hit the top of the water to cool it down. But if you do a push pull fan configuration it should achieve the same. I'll follow along to see your progress though
I hope so and I'll update with how it works. I'll have fans in my light rack facing down on the display but I'd like to get the warm air out from below as well.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you can get the fans to blow across the surface of the water, you'll see much better cooling. You may find it better to pull the air on your light rack away, than to blow that heated air towards the tank. Heat rises and builds up around flat surfaces, so if you draw that air away, then your cooling method will be more efficient. I have 3 Noctua fans at the back of my tank blowing across, but also have two vents in my canopy (ready for fans to be installed) which will pull the heated air away. The highest temp on my tank was 79.6 and that was with the ac off, windows open and 85 outside. Usually I close up the house once it his 81 or 82 outside.
If you have an apex, then you can hook up the Noctua's directly to the 24v ports with a 12v stepdown converter.

OP
OP
Smite

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can get the fans to blow across the surface of the water, you'll see much better cooling. You may find it better to pull the air on your light rack away, than to blow that heated air towards the tank. Heat rises and builds up around flat surfaces, so if you draw that air away, then your cooling method will be more efficient. I have 3 Noctua fans at the back of my tank blowing across, but also have two vents in my canopy (ready for fans to be installed) which will pull the heated air away. The highest temp on my tank was 79.6 and that was with the ac off, windows open and 85 outside. Usually I close up the house once it his 81 or 82 outside.
If you have an apex, then you can hook up the Noctua's directly to the 24v ports with a 12v stepdown converter.
That’s sounds ideal with the step down converter. Do you have a picture or parts list with what you did?

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That’s sounds ideal with the step down converter. Do you have a picture or parts list with what you did?
Yeah, let me find the parts list. I bought the connectors from Mouser and the step down from Amazon. I bought one Noctua 24v fan that I have connected directly to the 24v port, but it's not as quiet as the other two. I have it set to go on at a slightly higher temp, which tells me where the temp is running. The cool thing is I can run the 24v fan at 12v like the others, just need another step down. I'll try to post later today when I can take a break from work.

OP
OP
Smite

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, let me find the parts list. I bought the connectors from Mouser and the step down from Amazon. I bought one Noctua 24v fan that I have connected directly to the 24v port, but it's not as quiet as the other two. I have it set to go on at a slightly higher temp, which tells me where the temp is running. The cool thing is I can run the 24v fan at 12v like the others, just need another step down. I'll try to post later today when I can take a break from work.
Greatly appreciated if you get the time. I have the same fans and they are pretty loud at the full 12v, it'd be nice to have them ramp up as needed.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey Matt, here's the part list that I used for my fans. I think you're safe with the 5A version for the step down. Also, double check that the wire terminals fit the Micro-Fit 3.0 socket header.
Molex Header Wire Terminal end 24v to 12v step down
Here's a thread that talks about hooking them up to an apex. R2R Apex fans
Text me if you need more info or help?

OP
OP
Smite

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Smite

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some fun unnamed pieces I think have some real promise as stunner colonies
I need to find a real high light and flow spot for this to grow out. Hot as hell!
80C462F6-5D9D-47DC-BC7D-C80E7A2B2B1B.jpeg

Not sure where this is gonna go but I like it
89E44D54-44CB-4D3A-BE6E-10559E3A90BB.jpeg

Bought this wild colony and have almost lost it 2x. It came in ice blue near 2 years ago
970A3F39-BE05-45F5-9AD4-819060359A23.jpeg

A real unique Malaysian piece I’ve been growing for over a year
3E4C5050-20A6-44A4-8055-67D32E75C96B.jpeg

Strange flesh color meets vibrant yellow
7A046CBD-B803-45A2-881B-9D36079316A3.jpeg

I spotted the slightly green polyps at the LFS. It was pretty brown with hints of color but looks real promising now. Day or night a beauty. Same with that small encrusted pinkish plug, got a good feeling about that one
AE20C11B-0449-4941-8BBB-AD9602B5AE03.jpeg
I

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back