OP
Smite

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noticing some bryopsis popping up here and there. Unfortunately right against some acros and in unusually tough to reach spots. I think its from the white bottom but its growing under my main overhang. I usually will kill flow and hit it with h202 but I'm not sure about the pieces that are right up against the acros themselves. Can they tolerate it?

Well enough about the L.E. blue bird feathers growing in my tank. This no namer millepora is liking it's new tank and lower nutrient parameters so far or the oyster and benepets I'm feeding to combat that. This is the same millepora that was on the bottom glass a few posts back, now it's up top. If I lose that green contrast I'll be moving it lower again.
DSC_0195-2.jpg

Picture is all blue with an orange filter

OP
OP
Smite

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotta get a grip on these nutrients or I'm going to need to turn my lights down. Some pieces are looking very pale to me. Still have that florescence but I've never seen my RP UV so white, the candyland is also looking translucent pink now under day lights.

Bryopsis seems unaffected by the h202 so far.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Gotta get a grip on these nutrients or I'm going to need to turn my lights down. Some pieces are looking very pale to me. Still have that florescence but I've never seen my RP UV so white, the candyland is also looking translucent pink now under day lights.

Bryopsis seems unaffected by the h202 so far.
It's funny that you mentioned the ultra violet, the piece I got from you seems a little pale to me too, but I'm running a little more white than you are. The polyps are still blue and its growing and really entrusting on the rock. When my Blues are a little heavier in the morning and evening, I see that minty green skin color, so I'm not too worried. My nitrates are .25 and phosphates are .13 right now. Nitrates have been about 1ppm or so with my nightly dosing of sodium nitrate, but my phosphates have come down from .24 so I'm happy about that trend. I just dosed MB7 the other day and just bought some biodigest in hopes to reduce the cyano patches I have going on. I've been dosing about .5ppm of sodium nitrate each night, but now I'm upping it to 1ppm as I think the combo of MB7 and biodigest reduced my nitrates quickly. That and my tank has always consumed nitrates pretty fast.
What are your N & P numbers?

OP
OP
Smite

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's funny that you mentioned the ultra violet, the piece I got from you seems a little pale to me too, but I'm running a little more white than you are. The polyps are still blue and its growing and really entrusting on the rock. When my Blues are a little heavier in the morning and evening, I see that minty green skin color, so I'm not too worried. My nitrates are .25 and phosphates are .13 right now. Nitrates have been about 1ppm or so with my nightly dosing of sodium nitrate, but my phosphates have come down from .24 so I'm happy about that trend. I just dosed MB7 the other day and just bought some biodigest in hopes to reduce the cyano patches I have going on. I've been dosing about .5ppm of sodium nitrate each night, but now I'm upping it to 1ppm as I think the combo of MB7 and biodigest reduced my nitrates quickly. That and my tank has always consumed nitrates pretty fast.
What are your N & P numbers?
You’ll see a decrease in both those for sure. I’ve dropped off the MB7 for now. Mostly because I want to see how the tank trends with just the prodibo. As of 2 days ago I was .5 nitrate and .02 phosphate. That amazes me considering how much food I’m feeding a day, rods, lrs , a local home blend , oyster and photo feast are daily!
Sounds like our pieces are looking very similar. I have the same green hue at ramp up and down.

I’m surprised how good some of the frags I cut look under the prime HD so far. I’m wondering how long they’ll take to encrust under it.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You’ll see a decrease in both those for sure. I’ve dropped off the MB7 for now. Mostly because I want to see how the tank trends with just the prodibo. As of 2 days ago I was .5 nitrate and .02 phosphate. That amazes me considering how much food I’m feeding a day, rods, lrs , a local home blend , oyster and photo feast are daily!
Sounds like our pieces are looking very similar. I have the same green hue at ramp up and down.

I’m surprised how good some of the frags I cut look under the prime HD so far. I’m wondering how long they’ll take to encrust under it.
I just ran out of MB7, so I'm just going to use prodibio for now. I might try once a week until the cyano clears up, then go to biweekly like Andre recommends?
.02 is getting pretty low and explains the pale look your getting, so hopefully your increased feedings will help there?
That's the cool thing about frag tanks or lighting small areas, you don't need as much light as the display. My three clams in my sump are being lit by a single Kessil 160 and they look great.

OP
OP
Smite

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This happens to my mystic sunset as it grows from the sand bed to neighboring rocks. I simply use forceps or hemostats and crush and grind the encrusted part from the rock.
I’ll have to do that with my tropic thunder Monti, that thing is way too happy! I’ve also got a few purple death zoanthids that need to go.

OP
OP
Smite

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when acro success is too good!

i did some epoxy over pocillopora in my old tank that seemed to work well
True! It was cool to have something fast growing in a large tank but I’ll constantly be cutting it now.
Epoxy is a good idea. It’ll give me a mounting point for something too.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%

Back