Smooth Skin Acro dipping and care?

CincyReefer07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What all has been your experience with smooth skin acros and coral dipping along with flow and lighting requirements?

I picked up a smooth skin acro today from my LFS but it was only described as a smooth skin acro, nothing too specific. I have always used Red Sea coral dipX for all of my coral. Is that too harsh for smooth skin acros? And under what lighting and flow do you have best success with? I’ve read they are deep water acros, so was thinking to place it midway in my 25” tall tank.

I also typically do a 3-day acclimation lighting period starting at 50 percent normal intensity.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bayer for me. CoralRx and the like will stress them.

I just put them under the lights - no acclimation.

Deepwater is just a name - they are not actually from deep water. Most are collected with masks and snorkels at the surface, or on one breath, just like most every other coral that is available.

Sweet Reef Corals

SweetReefOH on IG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Potassium chloride (10 g per liter of tank water for 10 minutes) is also safe and effective.
Just to let you know, KCl does not kill acro eating white, red or black bugs. There is nothing better than good old fashion Bayer dip (now called Bio Advance)

sculpin01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to let you know, KCl does not kill acro eating white, red or black bugs. There is nothing better than good old fashion Bayer dip (now called Bio Advance)
Not gonna agree with you there. These are from KCl dips and are absolutely dead.

White Tegastes.jpeg
 Alteuthellopsis corallina.jpg
 Tegastes1.jpg

Sweet Reef Corals

SweetReefOH on IG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Not gonna agree with you there. These are from KCl dips and are absolutely dead.

White Tegastes.jpeg
 Alteuthellopsis corallina.jpg
 Tegastes1.jpg
You don’t have to agree with me. I’m just stating an anecdotal fact based on my experience testing it on known white and black acro bugs and it didn’t even phase them after a 15 minute dip.
I can also say that neither type of known acro bugs I tested it on looked like your pics… those may be something else?

sculpin01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10 g / L tank water for 5 to 10 minutes is very effective for Tegastes and Alteuthellopsis corallina in my experience. If you tested it on another organism, such as halacarid mites, it won't be as effective. The above pics are two species of Tegastes (acroporanus and an unidentified white variant) and Alteuthellopsis corallina which seems to preferentially parasitize Acropora florida.
Red_Bugs_-_Aquarium_Coral_Diseases.jpg

Sweet Reef Corals

SweetReefOH on IG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
10 g / L tank water for 5 to 10 minutes is very effective for Tegastes and Alteuthellopsis corallina in my experience. If you tested it on another organism, such as halacarid mites, it won't be as effective. The above pics are two species of Tegastes (acroporanus and an unidentified white variant) and Alteuthellopsis corallina which seems to preferentially parasitize Acropora florida.
Red_Bugs_-_Aquarium_Coral_Diseases.jpg
I can’t honestly say what scientific parasite they were, but the important point is that you can’t trust something that is only “effective”. You have to have total pest decimation when you have an acro farm. You know what totally decimates all of them, as well as AEFW, Nudibranchs, etc? Bayer!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.8%
Back