snagger

tj51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm attempting for the 3d time to raise a batch of clarkii clowns (eggs laid yesterday)

I built a snagger as follows:

took the outside half of a hang on overflow box to use as my collection center. It was divided into two parts, so that worked well. I took a mini jet 404, opened it to full, and covered it with nylon hose. I then filled the compartment with some thick sponge with very small holes (about 3" to fill it)
On the collection side I took the U tube from the overflow box and created a siphon. It seemed to keep up with the mini jet very well. I put a small LED light taped to where it shines on the opening of the U tube.

Now my problem is the placement of the snagger. I read that if the larvae see light before hatching they will not hatch, so last time I put the snagger across the tank (only a 42 stretch) but somehow they didn't make it. (where they went I still can't figure out). I'm wondering if I shouldn't move the snagger closer to the rock they are on and hope that a little light won't affect their hatching. Comments? BTW I do turn everything off as far as flow (but use the return from the mini jet to break the water). I have also bought an air pump with stone to keep the water oxygenated while everything is off.

msman825

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
did you get joyce wilkersons book. if so on page 189 great pic and info on snagger. page 191 collecting larve as they hatch info. great read. did you try the flashlight method last time

OP
OP
tj51

tj51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
did you get joyce wilkersons book. if so on page 189 great pic and info on snagger. page 191 collecting larve as they hatch info. great read. did you try the flashlight method last time

Don't have the book yet.....tried the flashlight, but it was across the tank and the fry never made it (can't figure out what happened to them)

msman825

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I turn off ALL flow and any lights around tank ( total darkness works best), set flashlight ( NOT real bright one) on cross brace in center on the front side were it will set there shining down in tank leave it there and fry comes up to it. I made a dip net out of a fresh water breeder basket that works great, a plankton collector will work also

OP
OP
tj51

tj51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I turn off ALL flow and any lights around tank ( total darkness works best), set flashlight ( NOT real bright one) on cross brace in center on the front side were it will set there shining down in tank leave it there and fry comes up to it. I made a dip net out of a fresh water breeder basket that works great, a plankton collector will work also

I turn off all flow, and the only light I have is the small flashlight to attract the fry. I just wondered if, since I lost the last batch I should move my snagger and light closer to the eggs....in other words will the small flashlight make the fry not want to hatch or does that small amount of light not hurt anything

msman825

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try it close, but i would not want the light shining straight on the larvae while attached

OP
OP
tj51

tj51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try it close, but i would not want the light shining straight on the larvae while attached

when I set it up before, I taped the light to the glass pointing down, but it did illuminate the half of the tank is was on...I did buy some wax paper to cover the lens and maybe it won't be as strong

Tomoko Schum

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you are fine with the snagger up near the top of your tank. No need to move it closer to your eggs. The case of missing larvae may be related to the strength of the suction of your U-tube.

I use a coke bottle with an opening (a playing card size) covered with panty hose material. I hang it at the top of my 120 (my clownfish parents live in my reef tank) and light the opening of my U-tube with a tiny LED light taped to a small watch battery (I tape the light and battery to the tank with a scotch tape.) The LED lights up the entire tank dimly, but clownfish larvae never failed to hatch and come to the snagger. It's quite a sight to see.

You can read about my clownfish breeding adventure here: http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1459442&perpage=25&pagenumber=1

I have a video of snagger capturing larvae pasted in the thread.
The thread show the picture of my first snagger, but I have improved it since then. I use an air lift tube of an old Tetra sponge filter as my U-tube and a air pump. The air lift tube take up water into the coke bottle gently but the flow is strong enough to pull larvae into the tube.

Good luck,

Tomoko

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 71 30.2%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 67 28.5%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 49 20.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 46 19.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back