Snail hasn’t moved in weeks

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have an astrea snail that hasn’t moved in a week or so and I’m wondering if it’s dead. It still has the fleshy part in it. Typically doesn’t move when it’s on the sandbed, but when I place it on the rocks, I always find the same snail flipped over the next day. Doesn’t smell bad. Haven’t seen any movement in a week though which has me concerned. Should I remove and discard the snail or give it some more time before discarding it?

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experience is that your snail is dying. Is there a wrasse that is knocking it around? If not, it could be that your sand has copper on it or else the snail is weak it can keep upright on the sand.

Whatever the issue the snail is not doing well.

OP
OP
Ocean’s Piece

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experience is that your snail is dying. Is there a wrasse that is knocking it around? If not, it could be that your sand has copper on it or else the snail is weak it can keep upright on the sand.

I checked the snail a few minutes ago and I saw it was very loose and floppy which I think means some of it is damaged. It may be my Midas blenny or royal gramma (out of those probably the gramma because I have seen it play with the snails on occasion. I’m going to remove it because I doubt it’s living

OP
OP
Ocean’s Piece

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yeah it was the Midas. He’s very clumsy with his tail lol

OP
OP
Ocean’s Piece

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
try to put it on the rock to see if it attaches, they don't move on sand very well, they are at home on rocks
He’s dead. I don’t know how I didn’t smell it earlier or if it just started making the odor, but when I removed it, I smelled it and recognized that’s that a dead snail smells like

OP
OP
Ocean’s Piece

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious call me crazy check nitrite
Will do in morning. I’ll update it here too. Also something to mention: I have an Acoel flatworm issue in my tank. When I took out the snail, I found one crawling out the shell. I’m unsure if these are the cause of death but it may be possible. I haven’t had any issues with these flatworms and treatment for flatworms is more dangerous than what it’s worth IMO. I may get a 6 line temporarily or a pink streaked if I can get my hands on one.

RC51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He’s dead. I don’t know how I didn’t smell it earlier or if it just started making the odor, but when I removed it, I smelled it and recognized that’s that a dead snail smells like
Check if the snail's 'trapdoor' is closed tight. it will do that if it is alive. I won't trust the smell to judge if a snail is alive or not. Recently, I had a turbo snail that was on the sand bed and didn't move for a week but when I pulled him and placed him back on the rocks, he went back to work right again cleaning the tank. Depends I guess on the type of snail you have.

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trap door can still be shut, and still barely alive. At the same time putting off a nasty smell. Essentially rotting while alive Smell test is a good one if you can handle it.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 49 84.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 6.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.2%
Back