Snail ID?

johnf3

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 14, 2023
Messages
77
Reaction score
31
Location
Los Angeles
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone

Curious if anyone knows what type of snail this is? The “spikes” on it are soft and retract if touched, and shell is hard. It hitchhiked into my NPS system somehow, I saw it the other day on my scleronephthya (spelling?) christmas tree coral but assumed it was new growth as it looks the same as black Christmas tree coral. Just today I realized it’s a snail when I found it on the glass!

Any help is appreciated
:)

IMG_0052.jpeg IMG_0054.jpeg IMG_0056.jpeg
 
Measled cowrie?
 
Tiger Cowrie?
That was my first thought, I have a couple of them in other tanks though and this one looks different shape-wise. I haven’t seen it without it’s “skirt” pulled over its shell but it may be a different variety of tiger cowrie..
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 7.6%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 26 18.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 50 34.7%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 6.9%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.9%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 13.9%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new