Snails and Hermits dying

GreenreefSC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey ive got a 29g lps reef, 2 years old.
nitrate-25
salinity-1.025
alk- 9.5
ammonia and nitrate- 0

I have 2 clowns and a wide array of lps that are all doing good, but for some reason in the past 3 months my CUC has been dying off rapidly. I see at least 1 dead crab or snail every week, when i restock I see several die over the first week. Any ideas?

TheShrimpNibbler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey ive got a 29g lps reef, 2 years old.
nitrate-25
salinity-1.025
alk- 9.5
ammonia and nitrate- 0

I have 2 clowns and a wide array of lps that are all doing good, but for some reason in the past 3 months my CUC has been dying off rapidly. I see at least 1 dead crab or snail every week, when i restock I see several die over the first week. Any ideas?
How are you acclimating them?

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Inverts are more sensitive to ammonia spikes. I'd float and drop them in. If you insist on dripping, then consider adding Prime to the bag. Not sure if this is your issue or not though.

Oberst Oswald

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure your crabs get enough food and is of high quality. They eat more than you think. My crabs, I have a lot, get fed one or two shells when the lights go out a few times per week... http://www.hikariusa.com/frozen_folder/clams_on_a_half_shell.html . You should see how they come running when it is put on the spot by the candy cane.

Snails like the film algae that is on the front glass. Maybe wait a day or two longer before you clean the glass.

Are you sure there is nothing killing them at night? Check with red lens flashlight.

OP
OP
GreenreefSC

GreenreefSC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure your crabs get enough food and is of high quality. They eat more than you think. My crabs, I have a lot, get fed one or two shells when the lights go out a few times per week... http://www.hikariusa.com/frozen_folder/clams_on_a_half_shell.html . You should see how they come running when it is put on the spot by the candy cane.

Snails like the film algae that is on the front glass. Maybe wait a day or two longer before you clean the glass.

Are you sure there is nothing killing them at night? Check with red lens flashlight.
You know food might be an issue. My tank has plenty of algae for them to graze on but i dont feed my cuc directly, they just get leftovers from the fish and corals. I will also check at night, what should i look for?

TheShrimpNibbler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know food might be an issue. My tank has plenty of algae for them to graze on but i dont feed my cuc directly, they just get leftovers from the fish and corals. I will also check at night, what should i look for?
Just look for anything large enough to kill one of them that you didn’t put in there. This could be a crab, a shrimp, a bristle worm, etc.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 142 60.9%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 65 27.9%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 83 35.6%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 41 17.6%
  • Other

Votes: 63 27.0%
Back