Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just looking for some help here

Some background:

Work got crazy and the tank maintenance was not up to schedule for a few months

I had 5 Trocus snails and I notice they hadn’t moved in a while after keeping an eye out for a week out so they eventually died. I then sent out a icp test to see what my levels were at. Most came back normal except phosphates where high at .2ppm and all is low at 5.6. My all is normally low around 6dk because I don’t change it since that’s kinda where it runs and coral was growing good.

I did some water changes since then and then decided to add snails again and within a day they are doing the same thing kinda not dead as they’ll move if I try to move them but just staying in place. Is there anything anyone knows what could be causing this?

Thanks!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
just looking for some help here

Some background:

Work got crazy and the tank maintenance was not up to schedule for a few months

I had 5 Trocus snails and I notice they hadn’t moved in a while after keeping an eye out for a week out so they eventually died. I then sent out a icp test to see what my levels were at. Most came back normal except phosphates where high at .2ppm and all is low at 5.6. My all is normally low around 6dk because I don’t change it since that’s kinda where it runs and coral was growing good.

I did some water changes since then and then decided to add snails again and within a day they are doing the same thing kinda not dead as they’ll move if I try to move them but just staying in place. Is there anything anyone knows what could be causing this?

Thanks!
Acclimation very important with them and for a while equalizing salinity
Additionally assure calcium level not low and phosphates are not elevated

OP
OP
G

Gerard Viola

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
could be any number of things. i would first check for high magnesium levels, > 1500ppm then check for heavy metals, copper etc. maybe throw in a poly filter and watch what color it turns or some chemi clean
Thanks mag levels where 1328 and no copper was detected that was the first thing that I thought

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I did drip acclimate them before I put them in and on the icp calcium came back 407
Icp results good. . . Did you manually test to compare and confirm?
Dripped how long? Did you verify salinity in bag matching that of the tank?

OP
OP
G

Gerard Viola

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just tested recently got similar results and not sure what the salinity was but that’s why I drip acclimated…the first set of snails that died though I had for over a year

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back