Snails not active

Jonathan lee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, about 6 months ago i noticed my snails have not been as active. Nassarius would lay on the top of the sand and not move for days but wont die. As if they are sleeping. Turbos would sit at one corner and not move too. I got a feeling it was salinity and not mag since i dont dose mag so it cant be over 1600 to make the snails lethargic. Corals, shrimp and fish are normal. So i calibrated my SALTWATER(made for seawater) refractometer with a 3-4 year old opened bottle of brightwells calibration solution and the reading was just a tad lower so i corrected it. Theres an expiry date but it hasnt passed yet i think it said 2024. But still the snails are sleeping. So i thought maybe the solution has gone bad aka evaporated since i live in a warm country but the bottle is closed so i dont know if it will evaporate. Ambient temp is 30c. Should i get a new pack of calibration solution? Or should i still trust this old bottle? Asking cause if i dont have to buy a new bottle, i wont. Its not cheap here. 25 bucks for the smallest bottle is alot of money here.

Nitrate 5-10
Ph 8.2
Phosphate 0.03 or less
Mag 1440 ish
Sal 1.025
Temp 25c
Calcium 440
Kh 7.7

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, about 6 months ago i noticed my snails have not been as active. Nassarius would lay on the top of the sand and not move for days but wont die. As if they are sleeping. Turbos would sit at one corner and not move too. I got a feeling it was salinity and not mag since i dont dose mag so it cant be over 1600 to make the snails lethargic. Corals, shrimp and fish are normal. So i calibrated my SALTWATER(made for seawater) refractometer with a 3-4 year old opened bottle of brightwells calibration solution and the reading was just a tad lower so i corrected it. Theres an expiry date but it hasnt passed yet i think it said 2024. But still the snails are sleeping. So i thought maybe the solution has gone bad aka evaporated since i live in a warm country but the bottle is closed so i dont know if it will evaporate. Ambient temp is 30c. Should i get a new pack of calibration solution? Or should i still trust this old bottle? Asking cause if i dont have to buy a new bottle, i wont. Its not cheap here. 25 bucks for the smallest bottle is alot of money here.

Nitrate 5-10
Ph 8.2
Phosphate 0.03 or less
Mag 1440 ish
Sal 1.025
Temp 25c
Calcium 440
Kh 7.7

If you’re sure that your mag is under 1600, with a good test kit like Aquaforest or Saliert kits, then try to buy a bottle of two little fishes AccuraSea Seawater Reference Solution. It is a natural seawater calibration solution.

#reefsquad
Is there anything else that stands out to you?

thanks

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be Dino toxin’s. Sometimes they’re can be a little in the tank, and it’s hard to see unless you know what you’re looking for.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 29 80.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 8.3%

Back