Snails shell went from black to this color

BlueCollarJoe

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 29, 2026
Messages
35
Reaction score
18
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our tank was started 3 weeks ago. We discovered 3 snails hiding in the live rock we purchased. Not sure what type of snails they are. We are very new to this hobby.

One of the snails shells has turned from black to the same color pattern as a rock I had introduced to the tank. Is this normal?

Also, added some other left overs from someone else's tank. They were quarantined before adding.

Ammonia is 0, but nitrite and nitrate seem to have crept up. 4ppm and 10ppm respectively.

Are there any concerns I should be worried about with the snails or the rocks? Tyia
b0992728-c24b-4984-989e-62bdfb6dd48b.jpg
fbdd6360-2106-4c71-b43d-112796d28b1e.jpg
e761df7c-58fa-4fbe-bf4c-aa1bc99e63d5.jpg
a5a02bee-31ec-491d-9d47-e5379db7c392.jpg
799a62fe-4998-49d8-9563-cbd9e1cfda43.jpg
 
I don't think you have anything to worry about with your snails. It looks like the large one might be an Astrea and the smaller one with the "snout" looks to be a Nassarius - both good guys.

You can safely ignore nitrite - it's non toxic in saltwater tanks. If you had some ammonia before and it's now down to zero, you're likely in good shape to start to add some more hardy livestock, especially because you've used some real live rock to get started 🙂

Good luck!
 
Last edited:

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 1 5.9%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new