OP
SneakyTortuga

SneakyTortuga

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like the calcium reactor is pretty dialed in. Tank is looking pretty stable at the moment [emoji16]
1f10f0b109d210fb2280cec86d293eeb.jpg

OP
OP
SneakyTortuga

SneakyTortuga

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPGRADE TIME!!!!!!!
i just sent payment over for a new tank! im super excited!
ill be getting rid of my frag tank and just running a bigger display. seeing as my tank is in my main living area it just made sense from an aesthetic standpoint to get rid of the 2 tanks and move to 1 tank. ( at least that is what im telling myself)

new tank dimesions:
60x30x20

stand:
im unsure if i want to a do a steel welded stand powder coated with magnetic walls
or
wooden stand

lights:
im considering just running 5 radions instead of a hybrid (i have 4 as of now)

sump:
run the same sump, skimmer, return pump, geo calcium reactor that i run now

pumps:
im conflicted on either running 2 mp40's
or
2 gyres

what i havent figured out:

1. if im going to run a fuge or just keep the tank running on a skimmer and water changes. ive always ran a fuge i just wonder if a skimmer would be enough.

2. if i just start with a sterile system? run straight new dry rock, no sand, just start fresh or use my existing live rock. i have no real pests except for aptasia. that would be the reason for starting with clean rock. im tired of of buying burghia.

3. to run sand or bare bottom/

hmmmmm lets see where this takes me

Last edited:

Wrangy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's awesome about the new tank!! :D :D :D The corals are looking banging though man!!

Here's my thoughts and opinions on your decisions haha

stand:
steel welded stand powder coated with magnetic walls
or
wooden stand

lights:

sump:

pumps:
or AND
1 gyre (throw it on the back wall to mix the flow up)

what i haven't figured out:

"1. if im going to run a fuge or just keep the tank running on a skimmer and water changes. ive always ran a fuge i just wonder if a skimmer would be enough."
I would stick with what you're comfortable with, maybe you could look at an algae reactor? I'm currently looking at one for my tank, especially with the CaRx effluent running into it.

"2. if i just start with a sterile system? run straight new dry rock, no sand, just start fresh or use my existing live rock. i have no real pests except for aptasia. that would be the reason for starting with clean rock. im tired of of buying burghia."
I'd go all fresh, sterile rock and start cycling/seeding it now in a barrel in the dark so it's got some oomph when it comes time to install it. I'd also find some really high quality LR and cycle it in the dark to make it pest free for that extra diversity or get a few pieces from a friends tank that you trust or see if they'll let you hide a piece or two in their sump to seed it up really quickly

"3. to run sand or bare bottom?"
Would you grow corals on the base or not? You'll be fighting coralline growth like Bubba is haha so if you don't want to grow corals on the floor and can't be bothered fighting the coralline, go with sand lol or if you want to have some fun with extra coral growing space (seeing as no frag tank) I'd take advantage of all the extra floor space with BB!

OP
OP
SneakyTortuga

SneakyTortuga

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad you're getting a bigger tank! I have to live through other peoples builds due to space lol
You might as well have a new tank with that new bonsai structure! How’s it doing so far? Has the plague of bubble algae returned?
I found a bubble algae last night in my frag tank the size of a gum ball. I didn’t even know they got that big

OP
OP
SneakyTortuga

SneakyTortuga

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's awesome about the new tank!! :D :D :D The corals are looking banging though man!!

Here's my thoughts and opinions on your decisions haha

stand:
steel welded stand powder coated with magnetic walls
or
wooden stand

lights:

sump:

pumps:
or AND
1 gyre (throw it on the back wall to mix the flow up)

what i haven't figured out:

"1. if im going to run a fuge or just keep the tank running on a skimmer and water changes. ive always ran a fuge i just wonder if a skimmer would be enough."
I would stick with what you're comfortable with, maybe you could look at an algae reactor? I'm currently looking at one for my tank, especially with the CaRx effluent running into it.

"2. if i just start with a sterile system? run straight new dry rock, no sand, just start fresh or use my existing live rock. i have no real pests except for aptasia. that would be the reason for starting with clean rock. im tired of of buying burghia."
I'd go all fresh, sterile rock and start cycling/seeding it now in a barrel in the dark so it's got some oomph when it comes time to install it. I'd also find some really high quality LR and cycle it in the dark to make it pest free for that extra diversity or get a few pieces from a friends tank that you trust or see if they'll let you hide a piece or two in their sump to seed it up really quickly

"3. to run sand or bare bottom?"
Would you grow corals on the base or not? You'll be fighting coralline growth like Bubba is haha so if you don't want to grow corals on the floor and can't be bothered fighting the coralline, go with sand lol or if you want to have some fun with extra coral growing space (seeing as no frag tank) I'd take advantage of all the extra floor space with BB!

I pretty much have the same mind set as you except with running sterile. I’m scared to start fresh with so many acros going in day 1. The tank is going to be running 100+ acros in it starting from day 1. I wonder how many I will lose in this transfer

Wrangy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I pretty much have the same mind set as you except with running sterile. I’m scared to start fresh with so many acros going in day 1. The tank is going to be running 100+ acros in it starting from day 1. I wonder how many I will lose in this transfer
I definitely recommend getting the rock and cycling it as soon as possible! haha I think you won't lose anything if you take it patiently and keep a close eye on it! haha

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might as well have a new tank with that new bonsai structure! How’s it doing so far? Has the plague of bubble algae returned?
I found a bubble algae last night in my frag tank the size of a gum ball. I didn’t even know they got that big

No algae, all looks good right now! Corals are just adjusting, the changing water parameters bugged them but they're all fine.

OP
OP
SneakyTortuga

SneakyTortuga

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I definitely recommend getting the rock and cycling it as soon as possible! haha I think you won't lose anything if you take it patiently and keep a close eye on it! haha
Yea that’s what I’m thinking! I was gonna grab a box of rock from a lfs throw it in a trash can with water, some shrimp, put a lid on it, and forget about it for the next 8 weeks!

No algae, all looks good right now! Corals are just adjusting, the changing water parameters bugged them but they're all fine.
That’s awesome! it looks like you may have passed the bubble algae epidemic over my way!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 89 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back