Sneaky's 40B... A new beginning...

thomasdo87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my first build thread ever here on R2R, so I thought I'd take it slow. I have been in this hobby for a little over 3 years, and still consider myself a big newbie. My first tank was a 12g Nanocube, then upgraded to a 39g Cadlights, and downsized to a 28g Nanocube. My current tanks are 28g Nanocube and 6g Nanocube.

I have always wanted a 40 gallon breeder since the dimensions are nice and the size is nice, where it can fit into my apartment without worrying about it being too heavy. I have decided to go with an acrylic aquarium with an external overflow and eurobrace. Though, I would have preferred glass, I didn't consider it to be practical since I still go to school, and not sure how long I will actually live here.

Equipment List:
- 40 gallon breeder with exteral overflow
- Acrylic Sump
- Stand made from a local
- 36" 6x39w Tek Lighting
Bulb Selection Front to Back:
- ATI Blue Plus
- KZ Fiji Purple
- ATI Aquablue Special
- ATI Blue Plus
- ATI Aquablue Special
- ATI Blue Plus
- QuietOne 4000 return pump with SCWD and Modular Eductors
- Vortech MP20
- Bubble King Mini 160 Protein Skimmer
- 150w Heater
- 40lbs of Marco Rocks and Sand

IMG_0476.jpg

IMG_0477.jpg

Here is my Hofer Gurgle Buster easiest thing I've made yet:
IMG_0484.jpg

I am still waiting the skimmer, and baffles to finish the sump before I can actually finish my plumbing.

I have no clue on how I want to scape this tank yet. I want to keep it simple, maybe 3 or 2 separate islands or a couple of rock bridges connecting the islands. Ohs well guess I'll figure that out later lol.

ReeferRob

Give me your Brains!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome tank, looks really good. Can you elaborate or share a link on the Hofer Gurgle Buster?

OP
OP
thomasdo87

thomasdo87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
thomasdo87

thomasdo87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its going to be mainly SPS, with few zoas/palys, softies, LPS. Not sure of my fish list tho, I know it will house my Picassos, but other than that I am open to suggestions. I want pair of helfrichi's but since its an open, i doubt that will happen lol.

I have always to try BB since it looks nice if done right, but I probably will go with a small sandbed

Dylan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So pretty! I'm hoping my 57 looks this nice... Do you think your TEK lighting will be enough for clams on the sandbed if my tank is 5 inches deeper?

OP
OP
thomasdo87

thomasdo87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So pretty! I'm hoping my 57 looks this nice... Do you think your TEK lighting will be enough for clams on the sandbed if my tank is 5 inches deeper?
TBH, I have never had kept a clam, so I wouldn't know. However, I'm actually worried about having too much light for my zoas/palys/softies/LPS and even some SPS, since I have read that, it is quite strong, and that I actually should have gotten a 4 bulb, so I'm pretty sure a clam would be fine.

Have you decided on getting the 57g Oceanic Rimless? It's a really gorgeous tank, since I was debating to get that or this. Only thing I dont like it is that its a little tall for my taste and if you get the overflow version, the overflow takes a good amount of space in the middle. However, that aquarium with the Tech series stand is a perfect match.

Dylan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I'm debating on whether to get a standard 58g with a smaller overflow, so I can get a mesh top also... The rimless is so nice, but it does come with hassles. It is a little tall, but I would rather have the extra water volume, and have a 2-4 inches of empty water up top. Do you have a fan to cool the TEK? I'm a bit worried if I buy one since they don't come with fans built in.

Blackhawk Fan

Jedi Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW I kept a clam under a 4 bulb T5 unit on my 65(36x18x24) for two months while I was putting together my cube. It's a crocea which are hardy IME, so I'd say you both would be fine with a 6 bulb Tek unit with crocea's for sure.

I just got rid of a acrylic tank Thomas. I didn't have sand and it was scratched to hell. I tried to be careful, but once the coralline starts it's impossible to remove without scratching. I can't imagine what it would have looked like if sand was in it. :(

OP
OP
thomasdo87

thomasdo87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got rid of a acrylic tank Thomas. I didn't have sand and it was scratched to hell. I tried to be careful, but once the coralline starts it's impossible to remove without scratching. I can't imagine what it would have looked like if sand was in it. :(
Tell me about it lol, this is my second acrylic tank. Acrylic is definitely not my preference, but my friend just got the tank last week, and sold it to me for a price I couldn't pass up. I actually had all this stuff minus the BK mini 160 since I as trying to set one up like 3 months ago lol.

I'm actually planning on purchasing a Elos 70 from someone up in northern Il, hopefully in a few months, so this will probably be only a temporary fix.

OP
OP
thomasdo87

thomasdo87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CADLIGHTS

!!! AHH!

Oh and thanks for the link. I feel confident in buying that fixture now. :D
Looks like a nice tank and quality is probably pretty good, but if I was to spend 1000 dollars on a 50g cube, I'd put that money down on a A.G.E. aquarium, since you can add your own customs touches to it and craftsmanship is far superior.

EDIT: I had a cadlights 39g too.

JNye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mr.thingdoer told me the mp20 isn't enough for a 40B, as I asked him because I am setting up a 40B too. I think he also has a K4 in his.

Blackhawk Fan

Jedi Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mr.thingdoer told me the mp20 isn't enough for a 40B, as I asked him because I am setting up a 40B too. I think he also has a K4 in his.

If used with a k4 it is more then enough. My mp40 is only turned up halfway on the cube Joe, and was only up 1/2 way on the 65 when it was on that.

OP
OP
thomasdo87

thomasdo87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

In the beginning, I was wasn't even going to use a supplementary pump in the tank, since I wanted to get it as clean as possible, but decided since I have one just laying around I thought it would just add to the "randomness" lol. I have a QuietOne 4000 return (1017 gph) with penductors that "ideally" should increase the output by 5 times (i know it won't but I am an optimistic guy lol). I can always get another mp20 or mp40w down the road and slap it on the other side.

Elos tanks are sick! I also like the new Perfecto cubes. I have the 93g Perfecto cube and it is very nice IMO.

I was actually going to get a 40 breeder from Perfecto from Fish Planet, but decided on this, dont know why when I know I dont like acrylic lol. the external overflow got me.

I hate setting up a new tank especially one that I am trying to plumb. I was bored tonight so I decided to work on the plumbing (have to wait for the BKM to come since the stand is too small to put in separately lol). I already went to Home Depot 4 times. First, was to get the parts for the Hofer Gurgle Buster, then to get the plumbing, then again because I forgot some more connections, then I realized, I'm missing the PVC cement, and now I realize I dont have 2 90 degree elbows to finish it off. I guess its another trip there tomorrow.

JNye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If used with a k4 it is more then enough. My mp40 is only turned up halfway on the cube Joe, and was only up 1/2 way on the 65 when it was on that.

yeah I wanted to use ONLY an MP20. not enough. I'll prolly get a MP40.

FNS- if you wanna keep SPS, and I saw that crazy sick list you posted(wow), i think you might wanna consider some more flow. Maybe even a sea swirl on the return would be awesome.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back