Snowflake clown killed my Cardinal fish!! Help

Nanoreef523

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I had a cardinal fish and my clown for about 3 weeks. They have been fine over the course of that time. I noticed this week that when I fed them the clown got very aggressive and began nipping the cardinal fish, chasing him away, and ate his share of food! I got home today to find the cardinal floating around with all his fins bit off and the clown actually eating him. I'm afraid to put any more fish in. What should I do?

zwulfke

Reefer Extraordinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 clowns that are so bad I can not put a shrimp in the tank. They say to change everything move them to the sump and back but, in my experience it does not work. My pic is them in their own Nano just them they are damsels and can be aggressive

OP
OP
Nanoreef523

Nanoreef523

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 clowns that are so bad I can not put a shrimp in the tank. They say to change everything move them to the sump and back but, in my experience it does not work. My pic is them in their own Nano just them they are damsels and can be aggressive
I see that you are from albany where do you get your fish? I am also from albany

mtfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns are damsels and mean, especially once they decide what they consider their territory. Not sure of the size of your tank, but if it is a nanoreef like your name suggest, you might want to rethink your stocking options to more laid-back fish.

Amoo

Professional Thread Derailer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very much agree with what has already been said. Percula and Ocellaris TEND to be the more peaceful of clownfish, which are really a type of damsel, but every individual is different. I know some folks who refuse to have them for this reason, and I've seen others do just fine with a whole host of residents.

Sounds like your clown finally got comfortable with his/her surroundings and decided because of territory/food/because it's being a fish...etc that it wasn't going to be welcoming to guests. It can happen.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 52 39.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 11.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 38 29.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 24 18.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back