Snowflake eel acting odd

badmonbran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My snowflake eel seems to be acting odd. Normally he’s pretty active, but as of now he is just kind of hanging out of the rock he normally lives in, but doesn’t move much. Also seems to be on a hunger strike, hasn’t eaten any of the food I’ve given him the past few days. Ive recently removed all the sand from the tank and changed the rock landscape. I have a video here for reference. I’d take a better close up but I’m currently on bed rest from a knee surgery lol.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the vid
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

The video didn't load (the site struggles with videos; most people upload to a site like YouTube, then link the videos here from there).

A few questions:

-How big is the eel?

-What have you been feeding the eel and how often?

-How long have you had the eel?

-How old is your tank?

-When did you change up the sand and rocks, and when did the eel's hunger strike start?

-Is the eel showing any other odd symptoms (like bloating, for example)?

OP
OP
badmonbran

badmonbran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

The video didn't load (the site struggles with videos; most people upload to a site like YouTube, then link the videos here from there).

A few questions:

-How big is the eel?

-What have you been feeding the eel and how often?

-How long have you had the eel?

-How old is your tank?

-When did you change up the sand and rocks, and when did the eel's hunger strike start?

-Is the eel showing any other odd symptoms (like bloating, for example)?
Dang, I’ll try to figure the video out tomorrow, the eel is about a foot long, I either feed him clams on a half shell, or pieces of shrimp. He tends to eat both but sometime he will stop eating one and I’ll swap over to the other. I’ve had him for about a year or so. My tank is pretty old, I’d say early 2000s but was re-siliconed a while back. I removed all the sand/moved the rocks 4 days ago. He’s been on hunger strike for about a week, sometime he will wrestle with the food but not eat it. It’s hard to tell if he looks bloated, I’d probably say no. As for other symptoms, a while back he was twitching his head to the side every once in a while. I read that it may have been sand in his gills aggravating him, or that he had some sort of infection, I was able to get my hands on the proper medicine for it and that seems to have gone away. Thanks for the reply!

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try some Squid. My snowflake loves it, she gets super excited when she smells it. And what do you mean hanging out of the rock? I have 3 eels. I attached pictures for you to look at and see if thats what you mean by hanging out of the rocks. Cause that could be normal and where he is comfortable.

Attachments

• IMG_5568.jpeg
    IMG_5568.jpeg
    110.6 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_5544.jpeg
    IMG_5544.jpeg
    148.6 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_5556.jpeg
    IMG_5556.jpeg
    213.7 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_5485.jpeg
    IMG_5485.jpeg
    141.3 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_5292.jpeg
    IMG_5292.jpeg
    189.4 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_5037.jpeg
    IMG_5037.jpeg
    161.2 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_4941.jpeg
    IMG_4941.jpeg
    60.1 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_4931.jpeg
    IMG_4931.jpeg
    141.3 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_4899.png
    IMG_4899.png
    344.7 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_4903.jpeg
    IMG_4903.jpeg
    133.2 KB · Views: 16

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And what do you mean hanging out of the rock? I have 3 eels. I attached pictures for you to look at and see if thats what you mean by hanging out of the rocks. Cause that could be normal and where he is comfortable.
Agreed - this could be normal behavior; video or pics would help to say for sure.
I either feed him clams on a half shell, or pieces of shrimp. He tends to eat both but sometime he will stop eating one and I’ll swap over to the other.
As mentioned, you can try squid - I've heard some eels tend to really go for squid. Live food (such as live ghost shrimp or fiddler crabs) is also a good, last resort option to try and get it feeding again.

How often do you feed it? Would you say it eats more of the shrimp, more of the clams, or pretty even portions of both?

With regards to the long-term diet, I'd suggest adding a good, fatty fish like salmon (the gold-standard) or mackerel (a good, second place), squid is a good one to add, crabs too if you can do so without breaking the bank, and then I'd also add in some algae (preferably multiple types) to get a few more vitamins and minerals in there that might not be supplied by the meat.

With all the foods, the fresher the better, and the more intact the shrimp is (head, tail, shell, etc.) the better. Ulva, Halymenia, and Nori would be my first suggestions for algae to add, but others like Porphyra and Spirulina would be good too. I doubt the eel would eat the algae by itself, so supplementing it either with algae pellets (such as NLS Marine Fish Pellets), an algal gelatin feed, or through something like wrapping the meat in the algae would be my suggestion.

For more diet suggestions/info, I'd suggest reading through lion king's threads below:
Here's 3 of my most comprehensive threads on feeding lionfish and other predators.

I was able to get my hands on the proper medicine for it and that seems to have gone away.
What medication was it?

OP
OP
badmonbran

badmonbran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed - this could be normal behavior; video or pics would help to say for sure.

As mentioned, you can try squid - I've heard some eels tend to really go for squid. Live food (such as live ghost shrimp or fiddler crabs) is also a good, last resort option to try and get it feeding again.

How often do you feed it? Would you say it eats more of the shrimp, more of the clams, or pretty even portions of both?

With regards to the long-term diet, I'd suggest adding a good, fatty fish like salmon (the gold-standard) or mackerel (a good, second place), squid is a good one to add, crabs too if you can do so without breaking the bank, and then I'd also add in some algae (preferably multiple types) to get a few more vitamins and minerals in there that might not be supplied by the meat.

With all the foods, the fresher the better, and the more intact the shrimp is (head, tail, shell, etc.) the better. Ulva, Halymenia, and Nori would be my first suggestions for algae to add, but others like Porphyra and Spirulina would be good too. I doubt the eel would eat the algae by itself, so supplementing it either with algae pellets (such as NLS Marine Fish Pellets), an algal gelatin feed, or through something like wrapping the meat in the algae would be my suggestion.

For more diet suggestions/info, I'd suggest reading through lion king's threads below:

What medication was it?
Hey thanks for the reply, I’ll try the squid, and maybe grab some full shrimp if I can find it. I never knew they would potentially eat algae, I don’t have any way to get the pellets other than ordering them online(only one salt water fish store in my town) but I’ll look into it.
I usually feed him every 2-3 days.
I’ll try attaching a photo below of what he was doing. The video that I was suppose to upload is pretty much him just not moving in the same spot. As of now he seems to be acting a bit more normal. Usually he just pokes his head out from the rock and looks around or is just deep inside the rock sleeping I’d assume.
IMG_4231.png

OP
OP
badmonbran

badmonbran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What medication was it?
The medication I used was mixed in with their food. It was called paracleanse.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never knew they would potentially eat algae,
Predators typically get their "vegetables" (like algae) from their prey - when they eat the herbivores, they eat the vegetables in the prey's organs too.

So, they may or may not purposefully eat the vegetables, but they often still play an important in predator health/nutrition.
I usually feed him every 2-3 days.
This is probably too often, especially if the eel is larger. Depending on the size, anywhere from once every 3 days to once every 7 days (but more likely 5) may be appropriate.

OP
OP
badmonbran

badmonbran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Predators typically get their "vegetables" (like algae) from their prey - when they eat the herbivores, they eat the vegetables in the prey's organs too.

So, they may or may not purposefully eat the vegetables, but they often still play an important in predator health/nutrition.

This is probably too often, especially if the eel is larger. Depending on the size, anywhere from once every 3 days to once every 7 days (but more likely 5) may be appropriate.
Ok thanks for the tips, I was able to get some squid picked up, tried it but he still didn’t eat. Guess I’ll just give it a go again tomorrow. I’ll have to look into the algae idea, I could definitely add it into the food I’m already feeding him if I get my hands on some.

OP
OP
badmonbran

badmonbran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: been a few days, still hasn’t eaten I don’t believe. He was hiding out in his rock for a while, finally came out for a bit then I found him like this. Breathing fairly heavily and not moving much for the past while. I read up on eels in this state being potentially deficient in nutrients/vitamins, and/or because of high nitrates. My current water is sitting at 1.024 salinity, no ammonia, quite a bit of nitrate that I’m still dealing with, currently doing another water change right now. Other than that had the rest of my levels checked at local aquarium shop, everything came back good.
IMG_4244.jpeg
IMG_4243.jpeg
IMG_4240.jpeg

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: been a few days, still hasn’t eaten I don’t believe. He was hiding out in his rock for a while, finally came out for a bit then I found him like this. Breathing fairly heavily and not moving much for the past while. I read up on eels in this state being potentially deficient in nutrients/vitamins, and/or because of high nitrates. My current water is sitting at 1.024 salinity, no ammonia, quite a bit of nitrate that I’m still dealing with, currently doing another water change right now. Other than that had the rest of my levels checked at local aquarium shop, everything came back good.
IMG_4244.jpeg
IMG_4243.jpeg
IMG_4240.jpeg
Hmm. That's not good - eels have been known to go on hunger strikes for a few days/a couple of weeks at a time, but the heavy breathing and not moving much is a bad sign.

Maybe one of the #fishmedic will have some advice for you there.

OP
OP
badmonbran

badmonbran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple more photos, he seems to be only breathing out of one of his vents. I tried looking into it but can’t come across anyone having that issue ever before.
IMG_4246.jpeg
IMG_4247.jpeg

OP
OP
badmonbran

badmonbran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eel died this morning, after a lot of research I’m having a large debate between what could have gone wrong. My guesses based off of other threads compared to how he was acting were either, the nitrates were too high (Nitrates were at 20-25), he had injured his neck from the moving of rocks or having gotten pinched somewhere, he had an internal injury or brain injury, or he wasn’t getting the proper vitamins from his diet of clams and shrimp and/or had grown more of a dependence for certain vitamins he wasn’t getting enough of(thiamine?). I really loved that eel, he was the favourite in my tank for sure! Sad to have lost him, but I appreciate all the help!

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 65 43.9%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 70 47.3%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 13 8.8%
Back