Snowflake eel live food options?

PatrioticAquaholic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently cleaned up a 55 gallon tank with a 30 gallon sump i had as a reef for about 2 and a half years. I setup a nano and am sticking strictly tocoral with that guy but I miss having my snowflake and have found one smaller than a pencil so I probably will be picking him up the thing though is I've heard people say feeding them live fish is bad for them I've had one prior for about 2 years and I fed him a goldfish a week with shrimp every day and he never had a problem was a very happy little eel. I would buy about 30 goldfish at a time and keep them in a planted freshwater tank I had i fattened them up with reef flakes and then fed them to my eel witch he Loved. is there any live fish that I can substitute for goldfish cuz watching him track down his food is so much cooler than just putting prongs in aped a goldfish and he came out and was stockingbut I had damsels in with my last email and he didn't care he never went after a saltwater fish but the minute I dropped a goldfish and he came out and was stalking it

cu455

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guppies, mollies or most live bearers. How far are you from the ocean? I catch my own fish with a butterfly net I got at the dollar store. I just go to the dock and swipe. I catch different killies, silversides and ghost shrimp. My snowflakes never ate the live food.

I won't go into it but do a search for feeding goldfish.

Last edited:

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I realise this is an oldish thread, but I would personally go for rosy barbs over guppies or mollies. I've found barbs to be easier for an eel to swallow plus they're less fatty.
Although shrimp or saltwater feeders would be even better.
Weaning to frozen should be very easy with a snowflake though.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 50 24.9%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 51 25.4%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 47 23.4%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 49 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back