Snowflake eel not eating

mjmuskin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

Ive had my snowflake eel for about five moths or so, and the past couple of weeks he hasnt been eating. He used to eat a few times a week, would come out and get the food pretty quickly when i put it in the water. He loved silversides and i would also feed him clams. Now he doesnt come after anything, ive also tried shrimp and squid. He still acts pretty normal head poking out from his spot, will come and and swim around the tank from time to time. The other fish in the tank are acting normal, and they dont really bother the eel. Parameters i believe are fine, but i am gonna take them to the lfs tomorrow so they can check. Ive heard eels can go on "hunger strikes" from time to time. Just a little concerned and would like any input and help.

Thanks!!

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You've had him in the tank where it just may be a normal fast. You may be feeding too frequently many have found success feeding no more than every 3 days and some even less frequent. So allowing him to fast until he shows interest wouldnt be a bad thing, then try to allow him to become active before feeding again

Changes in water quality, tank dynamics, or really any changes can trigger a fast, I wouldn't consider it a hunger strike until he goes a couple weeks. Their natural eating routine in the wild is to gorge and then fast. So feeding his full and giving a few days in between is better than more frequent meals.

OP
OP
M

mjmuskin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks it has been a couple weeks already. he always seemed so hungry before so i probably was feeding a little often. i cleaned the tank about a

Back