Snowflake eel question

badstorm48

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I just got a snowflake eel today from my lfs. He’s had him for 3 weeks and doing well. I fed him tonight. I was wondering how much should you feed him. Since he’s only like a foot if that maybe give or take some. I cut up a small raw shrimp and gave him about a third of that shrimp. Just want to know how much should I feed him cause I don’t want to waste food and or just leave food in the tank? Maybe just over thinking it.

Mfreddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They’ll let you know when they’re hungry. Mine swims out about 5 days a week when I tap on the glass with the tongs.

Don’t freak out if it goes a week without eating. Mine does it about once a month.

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can probably give it a whole 2" chunk of shrimp every other day for the time being. As it grows you can give it to him more often.

OP
OP
badstorm48

badstorm48

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay cool yeah the peice I gave him was about an inch or so. He’s small and I felt he couldn’t take more but he gobbled that thing down so I might do half a shrimp then next time and see how that goes.

Anarcha0s

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I first got my snowflake at 7 inches and the size of a pen, he ate maybe a quarter of a small raw shrimp every other day, today a few months later he will eat 1/2 to 2/3 of a raw shrimp every other day. He has grown a bit since then too. Like others said, your eel will let you know when he's hungry!

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed my eels every 3 days, I feed them all they want; they will let you know when they are full by not taking the food or retreating back into their dens. I do not put the food in the tank, I target feed them.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 17.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 53 53.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.0%
Back