Snowflake eel question

Discussion in 'Fish Discussion' started by badstorm48, Feb 3, 2018.

1. badstorm48

badstorm48 Active Member

So, I just got a snowflake eel today from my lfs. He’s had him for 3 weeks and doing well. I fed him tonight. I was wondering how much should you feed him. Since he’s only like a foot if that maybe give or take some. I cut up a small raw shrimp and gave him about a third of that shrimp. Just want to know how much should I feed him cause I don’t want to waste food and or just leave food in the tank? Maybe just over thinking it.

2. Mfreddy

Mfreddy Active Member

They’ll let you know when they’re hungry. Mine swims out about 5 days a week when I tap on the glass with the tongs.

Don’t freak out if it goes a week without eating. Mine does it about once a month.

3. nautical_nathaniel

nautical_nathaniel Jack of All Trades, Masters in One R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

You can probably give it a whole 2" chunk of shrimp every other day for the time being. As it grows you can give it to him more often.

4. badstorm48

badstorm48 Active Member

Okay cool yeah the peice I gave him was about an inch or so. He’s small and I felt he couldn’t take more but he gobbled that thing down so I might do half a shrimp then next time and see how that goes.

5. Anarcha0s

Anarcha0s Member

When I first got my snowflake at 7 inches and the size of a pen, he ate maybe a quarter of a small raw shrimp every other day, today a few months later he will eat 1/2 to 2/3 of a raw shrimp every other day. He has grown a bit since then too. Like others said, your eel will let you know when he's hungry!

6. lion king

lion king Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award

I feed my eels every 3 days, I feed them all they want; they will let you know when they are full by not taking the food or retreating back into their dens. I do not put the food in the tank, I target feed them.

Draft saved Draft deleted