Snowflake eel question

badstorm48

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 10, 2015
Messages
400
Reaction score
107
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I just got a snowflake eel today from my lfs. He’s had him for 3 weeks and doing well. I fed him tonight. I was wondering how much should you feed him. Since he’s only like a foot if that maybe give or take some. I cut up a small raw shrimp and gave him about a third of that shrimp. Just want to know how much should I feed him cause I don’t want to waste food and or just leave food in the tank? Maybe just over thinking it.
 
They’ll let you know when they’re hungry. Mine swims out about 5 days a week when I tap on the glass with the tongs.

Don’t freak out if it goes a week without eating. Mine does it about once a month.
 
You can probably give it a whole 2" chunk of shrimp every other day for the time being. As it grows you can give it to him more often.
 
Okay cool yeah the peice I gave him was about an inch or so. He’s small and I felt he couldn’t take more but he gobbled that thing down so I might do half a shrimp then next time and see how that goes.
 
When I first got my snowflake at 7 inches and the size of a pen, he ate maybe a quarter of a small raw shrimp every other day, today a few months later he will eat 1/2 to 2/3 of a raw shrimp every other day. He has grown a bit since then too. Like others said, your eel will let you know when he's hungry!
 
I feed my eels every 3 days, I feed them all they want; they will let you know when they are full by not taking the food or retreating back into their dens. I do not put the food in the tank, I target feed them.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 26 18.3%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 50 35.2%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 14.1%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new