SnowFlake eel Question

scubasteve020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

I have a nuvo 30L tank. Its a 30 gallon shallow reef tank it's 3 feet in length. I just got a snowflake eel he is roughly around 14 to 16 inches long. I have two clowns and a toby puffer. I know the puffer will be fine with the eel but what would the chance of the eel going after the clowns ? Also how long would I be able to house the eel in a tank this size. I tried it out because since its a long tank and after talking to a local lfs they said I should be fine but after reading more articles online i'm getting mixed reviews. Also should I stay away from feeding it silversides so that he won't get a taste for fish and go after my clowns lol?

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's kind of funny how people think feeding silversides somehow gives an eel the taste for the fish in the tank, they can not relate what you are feeding them on a stick to the fish swimming around in the tank. i think silversides is a good nutritional addition to a predator;s diet, the guts and bones are likely even necessary longterm. Snowflakes are pebble tooth eels so their main diet would be crustaens, but without the shells the bones of the silversides would be a good addition.

About how long he is going to happy and feasible in that tank relies on a few factors. His temperment likely the 1st, some eels will tuck away and not use alot of real estate, while others will be more demanding. His rate of growth will also be determined by his appetite and how much you feed him, I've seen some grow rather slowly while others be full grown in a 1.5 years. At his size now he likely doesn't have too long to grow out of that tank.

OP
OP
scubasteve020

scubasteve020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so far everything is growing great with the eel. He seems very content and has made a lot of different burrows under rocks. I have been feeding him a half clam some times 2 every few days. He likes to come out more during the night time. He actually seems very small in my tank like he is long but skinnier than the diameter of a quarter. If he happens to outgrow the tank I know some people that would gladly take him if I don’t have a second larger tank by then.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 62 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.7%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back