Snowflake Eel

JamesWeaver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just picked up a snowflake eel and I also bought some frozen silversides with it to feed. From what I have been reading it’s not good to just feed them silversides long term. What else should I be feeding them? And where do I purchase it?
IMG_1162.JPG

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An asian market will have a good selection; in the frozen section you can get a bag of smelt(silversides at the lfs) $7 for a 2 lbs bag just slice to order, squid rings to slice into bit size strips, octopus-I get the baby octopus-they just love the tentacles, there's also a squid with tentacles, human grade krill(not the orange stuff) $4 for a 7oz pack. All of the stuff is human grade, no preservatives and such; $20 will get you enough food for 1 eel for at least 6 months. I found the frozen shrimp at WalMart to be the best value, and choose your size.

OP
OP
JamesWeaver

JamesWeaver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How often and how much should I be feeding him. I fed him yesterday a whole silverside and he tore it up.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How often and how much should I be feeding him. I fed him yesterday a whole silverside and he tore it up.

About every 3 days days has worked well for me and many others. Over feeding is a big issue with these guys. At each feeding you give him until he is full. He'll be more active if you give it time between feedings as well

OP
OP
JamesWeaver

JamesWeaver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About every 3 days days has worked well for me and many others. Over feeding is a big issue with these guys. At each feeding you give him until he is full. He'll be more active if you give it time between feedings as well

What are the signs of him being full

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the signs of him being full

He will just retreat back into his cave, he will keep coming back and poking his head up to let you know "can I have some more". Sometimes it will feel you like are feeding a bottomless pit. In the wild their method of eating is like gorge/fast, in simple terms it's just the way their metabolism works.

Dragonreef202

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed mine 3 times per week with raw shrimp I haven't tried any other fish to feed him with. I at try something else in the near future. to see if he'll like it.

Bosoxfan21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed mine when he gets hungry, about every three days. He'll come out at feeding time and swim around if he's hungry. I feed silversides, shrimp, krill, Clam and Scallops, depending on what I have available. I feed him until he retreats to his cave.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back