Snowflake Eel

Matt B.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone had a snowflake eel in a reef tank? I have a 2 footer in a FOWLR that is the worst hunter. Only eats off my stick if I pretty much put in his mouth. Upgrading to reef tank and would love to keep him. Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks!

Olefreebe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately I don't have any experience to advice on the subject but I would love to see a picture of your setup

OP
OP
M

Matt B.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not even running my protein skimmer right now but my tank is 5 years old. Eel is 4!

20190805_121100.jpg 20180123_094111.jpg

Olefreebe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful setup. I mean that area had to be built for the fish tank.
That's a big fella. I can definitely understand wanting to incorporate it.

OP
OP
M

Matt B.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you and it was. I redid my basement and had my 90 gallon that I owned built in. Only mistake I made was being cheap because now I want to put a bigger tank in but would have to redo a bunch of it! So I decided to upgrade the equipment to change to a reef tank. In a couple years if that goes well will update the tank.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 in a tank with some softies. You just don't add anything they will eat like shrimp or snails.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats how you feed a snowflake unless you are feeding him live food. While they may occasionally pick up food lying around, thats not what they do. Stick feeding with chunky foods like shrimp, scallop, squid; and even fish unless you believe the old myths, silversides, tuna, salmon.

OP
OP
M

Matt B.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think I can add a big cleaner shrimp or fire shrimp? Maybe a few crabs? I can deal with the occasional hermit missing. Personally don't think he would eat thwm either but wanted to check. My guy eats krill mainly.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think I can add a big cleaner shrimp or fire shrimp? Maybe a few crabs? I can deal with the occasional hermit missing. Personally don't think he would eat thwm either but wanted to check. My guy eats krill mainly.

A snowflake is a pebble tooth eel, shrimp and crabs are on the menu. While you may hear some have success keeping a cleaner shrimp, if opportunity arises and you are late with a meal, all bets are off. Sometimes if gotten young and kept on a very strict feeding schedule, you may get away with it for a while. But in the end, nature is nature, and a snowflake is a pebble tooth predatory eel. On another note, krill should be fed very sparingly and definitely not as his main diet. Krill contains thiaminese which binds vitamin B1. A vitamin B1 deficiency will lead to lockjaw and other health issues that can quickly, within a few months to a year, lead to an early grave

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 27 26.5%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 36 35.3%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 17 16.7%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 19 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back