Snowflake moray eel

bingus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I’ve wanted and planned to get a dwarf golden moray eel for some time now but I’ve been told that they only come from Hawaii so with the ban don’t think I’ll get one any time soon lol. Would a snowflake moray eel work in a reef tank also? Smallest fish I have is a dottyback. Are there any other eels you guys might recommend? I like pretty colors and the snowflake I saw seemed pretty bland :/

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s an eel so you never truly know , but I kept a snowflake with cleaner shrimp, clowns, orchid dottyback, damsels and it never cared for any of the tank mates lol I did feed it either krill / silversides daily . I think the important part is keeping them from hunger , loved my eel sadly sold so he could live in bigger tank. Another important tip is not to use live food and have a routine so the eel knows when it is about to get fed , I used tongs so when it saw them it knew what was happening. Don’t use hands otherwise every time you put hands in tank it’s war

Grallster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had a snowflake for about 4 years. I’d only keep it with larger fishes. I’m pretty sure he ate my neon dottyback. Probably a blue damsel too. I think the bigger they get-the more apt they are to eat a smaller fish.

mpatient

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have medium size, but got him when he was about 8 inches. I feed krill daily, and so far has left everything alone including my dottyback. I also have a Valentini puffer I feed at the same time, and he leaves all the invertebrates alone as well. As others have said, I believe keeping them well fed goes a long way, but every animal, even within the same species can act differently.

smlarson72

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my snowflake. He gets fed octopus, squid, scallops and is very happy. He knows when it is feeding time and pops his head out when he is hungry. I saw him go after my Blenny when we first put the Blenny in the tank. Now they ignore each other. The problem we have is with our Porcupine Puffer who wants to steal his food when we feed. We now feed on both sides of the tank.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 175 72.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 45 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back