So heres where my tank is at... What to do now?

Salty_Box_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So let me give you the stats on the tank and then you tell me what steps I should take next...

120g sps dominated running just over a year with 90% of the rocks coming from a 12 year old tank.
lifereef calcium reactor with carbon doser and masterflex, running reborn media
shallow sandbed
photon v2 10hr total with 2hr ramp, 6hr peak, 2hr ramp down.
wav pumps
skimz skimmer(slightly under sized)
12 fish.

Never had a phosphate checker till today but always check alk/cal/mag/nitrate.
typically the tank is at:
Alk 8.5-8.7
cal 450-480
mag 1400-1450
nitrates 5
Normally I feed HEAVY otherwise my nitrates drop to nothing and my sps get pale. So where I'm at now is that I have pretty bad gha, nitrates at 2 cause I slowed feedings down and phosphates at .25

I would assume the phosphate levels are helping contribute to the algae, but not sure how to lower them without running gfo which I refuse to do. Never had any luck with it even running a VERY small amounts. Today I drilled a old sump and attached it to mine, threw a light on it and started running chaeto. Not sure how much that will help though. Next I am considering dosing nitrates to see if higher nitrate levels without the organics of heavy feedings will help push the phosphates down some. Other than that I am kind of stumped.

mkutsch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, in your place (and I've never had a tank so dependent on nitrates) I would just start dosing a crapload of nitrates.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have plenty of nitrate and phosphate for algae. It is a drawback to the creep upwards in "optimal" levels that folks are now pursuing. If you want to keep levels this high you may need to incorporate some sort of herbivores.

OP
OP
Salty_Box_Reef

Salty_Box_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't really want to keep phosphate this high. Ideally just detectable with nitrates about 2-5. Not real sure how to get there though.

Back