So I am not completely new, but I want to know what new reefers think a budget build looks like.

BornHandy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what do you say? How much money is the limit for a budget build?

What size tank? What equipment?

I want to know about the hardware only, no rock, sand or live stock.

ZaneTer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need a little more info than that like size?

ZaneTer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Petco dollar per gallon sale tank.
Horticulture T5
Relevantly sized wave maker
Relevant amount of live rock
A couple test kits.

Nothing else is really a must.

But your question is a bit silly. It’s like saying “I need to buy some string, how much will it cost?” but you don’t say what kind of string or how much.

LesPoissons

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's all relative to what you want. I got a 220G free from a bar that was getting rid of it and I built the stand from 2x4s and plywood. So that cost maybe $50-100 all included w stain, screws, etc. Having said that, the rest of the equipment for such a large tank (skimmer, lights, pumps, ato, ato storage container, heater, sump, rodi unit, etc.) probably is the same as the cost of a whole brand new and good quality set up for like a 55G- but it was a "budget build" for me.

OP
OP
BornHandy

BornHandy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ZaneTer, I think you misunderstood the post. I know what I think... I want to know what other people think. What's silly about that?

I want to know what new reefers see as a reasonable budget tank. What size, equipment and spending limit is up to you. That's why there is so little specifics.

Last edited:

LesPoissons

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really broad question with too many factors. I dont think theres a specific number you could say "this is a budget build bc its under <blank ammount> and this isnt because it's over. " I'd say anything you could do for under cost of buying everything brand new could be considered a budget build for each individual tank size. But idk what those numbers are, or who would decide what constitutes a "complete" set up to get that #.

OP
OP
BornHandy

BornHandy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maya Ybry, the individual reefer would decide. For instance, in a budget build, I would do all HOB, and possibly not even do a skimmer. Other people might say differently.

I have a 75 gallon that cost a truck load! Definitely not a budget build in my book (likely not anyone else's either).

I am looking for a perspective on what the "general masses" see as a budget build.

ZaneTer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think if you broke the question down into something like how much could a new build 40g/180g/400g be you would get a lot more relevant answers.

Your current question spans the range of being paid to take away someone’s unwanted tank through to spending millions on a top spec massive home reef of 50,000g.

It’s just too broad

reef_daze

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have a 5gal. pico reef with about $600 of equipment, including tank. I would say that's on a budget. Nothing on it is high end but its not cheap equipment either. We also have a 40gal. reef tank that we splurged a little but we also tried to go the cheaper route with somethings. We have about $1800 into this tank... That's no water, sand, rock, etc.

*EDIT Everything about our tanks was bought brand new and/or made.

OP
OP
BornHandy

BornHandy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's broad by design, and that's the point. I think you would be hard pressed to find someone to define a 50,000 gallon to be a budget build, but let me know if you do - I have some equipment I can sell them.

I certainly know what a budget build looks like to me, but I don't want to steer anyone into answering the way I think. I want to know what other people think a budget build looks like.

ZaneTer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are having buyers remorse and are trying to justify your own spending I say “get over it and be prepared to continue spending more”
That’s just this hobby

OP
OP
BornHandy

BornHandy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And again you didn’t specify that.

I don't get the hostility, but...

The title was
"So I am not completely new, but I want to know what new reefers think a budget build looks like"
That was pretty clear to me that I wanted a perspective on what "new reefers think".

Then the main body was...
"So what do you say? How much money is the limit for a budget build?
What size tank? What equipment?
I want to know about the hardware only, no rock, sand or live stock."

LesPoissons

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suggest narrowing your scope, picking one tank size, etc. I dont think you will get any kind of consensus on such a broad topic with so many vague factors, but good luck! :)

ZaneTer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My apologies, there truly was no hostility meant. This is the problem with written text, it doesn’t always convey itself properly.

If I were a new reefer I would probably say $1000 for a little slice of the ocean in my home.

ZaneTer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t worry, I should probably take more time planning my answer to avoid a misinterpretation.

OP
OP
BornHandy

BornHandy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is such a simple question to me, but I will post a new thread, and be super specific - Hopefully I can catch some actual usable data points...

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 41.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 34.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back