Kingston

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dry rock
Nutrients too high
Add some aquacultured rock
What are you using for RO/DI and are you changing filters and resin out when it hits 1tds?
BRS 7 stage for RODI. I change DI resin based on color change which typically matches with TDS going to 1. Surprisingly I haven't needed to change filters or carbon block or cation resin in 12 month. Anion resin however runs out very quickly.

Will adding aquacultured or live rock at this time potentially start a mini cycle from die off, etc?

OP
OP
Kingston

Kingston

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You got some very good advice on nutrient levels, see if you can source some birdsnest from someone who has similar nutrient levels. I have a few other observations:

* Your wavemakers are pointed up. In a 96" tank, you are definitely not getting good flow in the middle of the tank. The one on the left should be pretty much level and about 4-6" below the surface, Make sure you're getting around 10 cm / second of flow in the spot where you are putting your SPS. And the flow shouldn't be hitting the coral directly, it should be going a couple inches over the top of it.

* How much coraline algae are you getting? I can't tell from the pics. Put corals where there's good coraline growth.

* Make sure new frags are placed in the same PAR as the tank you got them from. I recently fragged a couple montis and moved them from 200 to 500 PAR (same exact water chemisty). Bleached and dead 2 days later. Any change is pretty rough on corals.
Thanks for the recommendations...so without knowing the need for flow of individual SPS, I placed my frags over different spots but no luck. The lowest rock surface has the green birds nest and another coral that was doing well and then suddenly about 2 weeks ago puff...it started dying. The highest rock surface towards the right of the tank had a very chunky frag (my biggest frag from H@rrys). It did very well for 4 months and started browning own last week and at the moment is almost completely brown.

I will move the wavemakers down.

I have some coraline algae but I won't say its a lot. its hard to say what is enough in a 12 month old tank. Surprising a lot of the flat surfaces like that rock on the right on the tank has nothing.

OP
OP
Kingston

Kingston

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to add to this:

if your tank has been up for 2+ years I would recommend using this practice. if its younger I would try and keep the sand bed clean right now. I clean my entire sand bed every week. you can stir it up in any part of the tank and there is no cloud that comes out of it. I have had a super clean sand bed and I have never had issues with SPS in the tank.
I have 2 sand sifting gobies always sifting through the sand, do we think they will help clean the sand to some extend and will adding say a sand sifting sea star help with cleaning the sand?

OP
OP
Kingston

Kingston

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With NSW being at 7, yes I consider 9 high. The problem with running a tank on the edge is always that stability becomes even more important.

In the case of the OP this isn't an issue just wanted to add this for future reference for people reading this thread.

In case of the OP I think this tank is still not mature enough for SPS, given the nutrient swings the bacterial biome is still developing.
At least if I am confident that its all from immaturity of the tank and not from me doing anything wrong, I have no problem waiting it out. I already know the adage " nothing good comes too fast in this hobby". I can at least enjoy my fish and add some more fish, LPS and equipment while I wait. But I want to be sure.

Barnabie Mejia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 sand sifting gobies always sifting through the sand, do we think they will help clean the sand to some extend and will adding say a sand sifting sea star help with cleaning the sand?
For a 96” x 30” foot print and your aqua scape I think adding the star fish might suffice, but if you don’t want to perform the sand bed cleaning maintenance, you may want to add more sand bed cleaners.... like more gobies or/ and I would throw in 10-15 nassarius snails to help out. And this would be due to the depth of the sand at 3”. My 75g has a 1” sand bed, I like it, but I have to trip the posts of frag plugs if I want to place them in the sand haha cause they’ll fall over

Also when I clean my sand, cause I should have given you my method, I clamp a filter sock in my sump and then go to town cleaning the sand and the water is put back into the sump and the nasties go in the sock. Using this method, you can clean the sand for an hour + and

OP
OP
Kingston

Kingston

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a 96” x 30” foot print and your aqua scape I think adding the star fish might suffice, but if you don’t want to perform the sand bed cleaning maintenance, you may want to add more sand bed cleaners.... like more gobies or/ and I would throw in 10-15 nassarius snails to help out. And this would be due to the depth of the sand at 3”. My 75g has a 1” sand bed, I like it, but I have to trip the posts of frag plugs if I want to place them in the sand haha cause they’ll fall over

Also when I clean my sand, cause I should have given you my method, I clamp a filter sock in my sump and then go to town cleaning the sand and the water is put back into the sump and the nasties go in the sock. Using this method, you can clean the sand for an hour + and
I actually do sand bed cleaning but not as frequent and I do a quart of the sand at a time. I always worry the gobies might not have enough to feed if i over clean it.

MabuyaQ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if you are carbon dosing, but with NO3 between 10-25 and PO4 at 0.1 you could start using this to bring both down (NO3 5-10 range), doing so will also impact PO4 (not always and not as much, so you may need to use GFO to get this back in the 0.04-0.08 range). The advantage of cabon dosing is that it stimulates bacterial growth.
I would start with some vinegar as this tends not to feed cyanobacteria which other carbons seem to do. After a while you could try adding ethanol (alcohol) and or sugar to the mix.

Loosechangereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also have few other ideas,
1) bacteria form aquaforest there is two of them i think,members with dry rock use can acros incrusting
2) get some lives sand from another member aged tank
3)Indo Pacific seafarms live sand activator

I think adding live rock will cause another cycle, you have expensive fish,
maybe someone can chime in

TexasTodd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS 7 stage for RODI. I change DI resin based on color change which typically matches with TDS going to 1. Surprisingly I haven't needed to change filters or carbon block or cation resin in 12 month. Anion resin however runs out very quickly.

Will adding aquacultured or live rock at this time potentially start a mini cycle from die off, etc?
I would suggest changing them all out at once, especially if you're having problems. How do you know you haven't needed to change out your carbon? prefilters are cheap and affect your system pressure.

schuby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding Live Rock that has been kept wet should not cause a cycle or even a mini-cycle. If you let it dry out (causing things to die) then it might cause a cycle.

OP
OP
Kingston

Kingston

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest changing them all out at once, especially if you're having problems. How do you know you haven't needed to change out your carbon? prefilters are cheap and affect your system pressure.
because my system pressure has remained at 78PSI since installing. I understand the pressure should drop if its time to change according to BRS.

OP
OP
Kingston

Kingston

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after losing all my hard corals ( even the green birdnest died but I think that was because my BRS 1.1 doser dumped a gallon of part B while I was on vacation). So I decided to do an ICP test (ATI) as had been recommended by a few reefers here. I put samples ( RO/DI and tank water) in the mail on 8/25/21 and results came today. Will like to see what members think and recommend.....
//lab.atiaquaristik.com/share/85380466fddd86da2f07

OP
OP
Kingston

Kingston

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Show 102550100 entries
Search:
SymbolValueCalculated reference valueDifferenceResultActions
Base elements
Salinity37.20 PSU35.00 PSU+2.20 PSU
check.png
View
Carbonate hardness8.75 °dKH7.50 °dKH+1.25 °dKH
check.png
View
Major elements
Chloride21206 mg/l21045 mg/l+161.0 mg/l
check.png
View
Sodium11603 mg/l11692 mg/l-89.40 mg/l
check.png
View
Magnesium1451 mg/l1398 mg/l+53.24 mg/l
check.png
View
Sulfur955.9 mg/l977.9 mg/l-22.01 mg/l
check.png
View
Calcium455.8 mg/l447.5 mg/l+8.34 mg/l
check.png
View
Potassium457.7 mg/l433.7 mg/l+24.07 mg/l
check.png
View
Bromine96.57 mg/l71.21 mg/l+25.36 mg/l
high_med.png
View
Strontium11.32 mg/l8.50 mg/l+2.82 mg/l
high_med.png
View
Boron4.79 mg/l4.68 mg/l+0.12 mg/l
check.png
View
Fluorine1.29 mg/l1.38 mg/l-0.09 mg/l
check.png
View
Minor elements
Lithium274.1 µg/l180.7 µg/l+93.45 µg/l
check.png
View
Silicon60.52 µg/l106.3 µg/l-45.77 µg/l
check.png
View
Iodine24.68 µg/l69.09 µg/l-44.41 µg/l
low.png
View
Barium26.91 µg/l10.63 µg/l+16.28 µg/l
check.png
View
Molybdenum11.06 µg/l12.75 µg/l-1.69 µg/l
check.png
View
Nickelu.0.53 µg/l-0.53 µg/l
check.png
View
Manganeseu.1.06 µg/l-1.06 µg/l
low_med.png
View
Arsenicu.1.59 µg/l-1.59 µg/l
check.png
View
Berylliumu.0.11 µg/l-0.11 µg/l
check.png
View
Chromeu.0.53 µg/l-0.53 µg/l
check.png
View
Cobaltu.0.11 µg/l-0.11 µg/l
check.png
View
Iron1.18 µg/l0.53 µg/l+0.64 µg/l
check.png
View
Copperu.0.53 µg/l-0.53 µg/l
check.png
View
Seleniumu.0.53 µg/l-0.53 µg/l
check.png
View
Silveru.0.11 µg/l-0.11 µg/l
check.png
View
Vanadium0.85 µg/l1.59 µg/l-0.74 µg/l
check.png
View
Zincu.2.13 µg/l-2.13 µg/l
low_med.png
View
Tin7.41 µg/l0.53 µg/l+6.88 µg/l
high_med.png
View
Nutrients
Nitrate35.37 mg/l2.00 mg/l+33.37 mg/l
high.png
View
Phosphorus115.1 µg/l15.94 µg/l+99.19 µg/l
high.png
View
Phosphate0.35 mg/l0.05 mg/l+0.31 mg/l
high.png
View
Pollutants
Aluminium2.88 µg/l0.11 µg/l+2.77 µg/l
check.png
View
Antimonyu.0.11 µg/l-0.11 µg/l
check.png
View
Bismuthu.0.11 µg/l-0.11 µg/l
check.png
View
Leadu.0.11 µg/l-0.11 µg/l
check.png
View
Cadmiumu.0.21 µg/l-0.21 µg/l
check.png
View
Lanthanumu.0 µg/l+0 µg/l
check.png
View
Thalliumu.0.11 µg/l-0.11 µg/l
check.png
View
Titaniumu.0.11 µg/l-0.11 µg/l
check.png
View
Tungstenu.0 µg/l+0 µg/l
check.png
View
Mercuryu.0 µg/l+0 µg/l
check.png
View

OP
OP
Kingston

Kingston

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SymbolValueCalculated reference valueDifferenceResultActions
Base elements
Salinityu.35.00 PSU-35.00 PSU
low.png
View
Carbonate hardness0 °dKH7.50 °dKH-7.50 °dKH
low.png
View
Major elements
Chlorideu.0 mg/l+0 mg/l
check.png
View
Sodiumu.0 mg/l+0 mg/l
check.png
View
Magnesiumu.0 mg/l+0 mg/l
check.png
View
Sulfuru.0 mg/l+0 mg/l
check.png
View
Calciumu.0 mg/l+0 mg/l
check.png
View
Potassiumu.0 mg/l+0 mg/l
check.png
View
Bromineu.0 mg/l+0 mg/l
check.png
View
Strontiumu.0 mg/l+0 mg/l
check.png
View
Boronu.0 mg/l+0 mg/l
check.png
View
Fluorine0 mg/l0 mg/l+0 mg/l
check.png
View
Minor elements
Lithiumu.0 µg/l+0 µg/l
check.png
View
Silicon196.4 µg/l0 µg/l+196.4 µg/l
high.png
View
Iodineu.0 µg/l+0 µg/l
check.png
View
Bariumu.0 µg/l+0 µg/l
check.png
View
Molybdenumu.0 µg/l+0 µg/l
check.png
View
Nickelu.0 µg/l+0 µg/l
check.png
View
Manganeseu.0 µg/l+0 µg/l
check.png
View
Arsenicu.0 µg/l+0 µg/l
check.png
View
Berylliumu.0 µg/l+0 µg/l
check.png
View
Chromeu.0 µg/l+0 µg/l
check.png
View
Cobaltu.0 µg/l+0 µg/l
check.png
View
Ironu.0 µg/l+0 µg/l
check.png
View
Copperu.0 µg/l+0 µg/l
check.png
View
Seleniumu.0 µg/l+0 µg/l
check.png
View
Silveru.0 µg/l+0 µg/l
check.png
View
Vanadiumu.0 µg/l+0 µg/l
check.png
View
Zincu.0 µg/l+0 µg/l
check.png
View
Tinu.0 µg/l+0 µg/l
check.png
View
Nutrients
Nitrate0 mg/l2.00 mg/l-2.00 mg/l
low_med.png
View
Phosphorusu.0 µg/l+0 µg/l
check.png
View
Phosphateu.0 mg/l+0 mg/l
check.png
View
Pollutants
Aluminiumu.0 µg/l+0 µg/l
check.png
View
Antimonyu.0 µg/l+0 µg/l
check.png
View
Bismuthu.0 µg/l+0 µg/l
check.png
View
Leadu.0 µg/l+0 µg/l
check.png
View
Cadmiumu.0 µg/l+0 µg/l
check.png
View
Lanthanumu.0 µg/l+0 µg/l
check.png
View
Thalliumu.0 µg/l+0 µg/l
check.png
View
Titaniumu.0 µg/l+0 µg/l
check.png
View
Tungstenu.0 µg/l+0 µg/l
check.png
View
Mercuryu.0 µg/l+0 µg/l
check.png
View
Showing 1 to 43 of 43 entries

OP
OP
Kingston

Kingston

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My initial take home points....the hanna checker seem to be spot on for Alk, NO3 and Phos. Also salifert Ca tester is also fair accurate.
Silicon, I'm not sure where that is coming from in my RODI water.
Will love to hear comments from the experts.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 76 50.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 76 50.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 37 24.7%
  • None.

Votes: 34 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.0%

Back