So im new and found this guy..

ItouchedThebutt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So im new to saltwater. Ive had planted tanks and even have a 45 gallon ciclid tank now. Just so recently decided to take the plunge into the ocean.. I have a 10 gallon nuvo compleatly basic setup. Still in the cycle phase only had the tank up for a week but when adding live rock i found a crab. Im fairly certain hes a gorilla crab because hes deep red with so.e bristles and black pinscers. Real small though. I just dont know if hes really that and if i can keep him for a reef tank. Id upload a picture but dont know how at the current moment..

OP
OP
ItouchedThebutt

ItouchedThebutt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nvm found out how. Here the little guy is.

20170420_205710.jpg

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off, Welcome to R2R! I don't know if it's a Gorilla or a Mithra crab. If you don't have a sump, take it to your LFS and see it they'll take it.

welcom.jpg

OP
OP
ItouchedThebutt

ItouchedThebutt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No i dont have a sump forthnatly i have a bulit in the back filtration system. He seems cool but he always hides. I finnaly caught him a second time and isolated him in tupawear lol but if it is a gorilla crab.. Are they bad for reef aquariums?

OP
OP
ItouchedThebutt

ItouchedThebutt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And thank you!! I thought id join a forum since im a newbie and within a week of owning a tank even though its cycling im finding all kinds of weird things hidden in it..

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally speaking, a crap with sharp/pointy claws is bad. Not bad like set fire to it bad, just bad in a Reef. Part of the reason i said put it in the sump. Since you have no sump, LFS of another reefer might like him to add to their's.

OP
OP
ItouchedThebutt

ItouchedThebutt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well i was gonna keep him for a longer period because i didnt wanna jump right into corals just fiah so thought id give him a chance but since my tank has starting to cycle ive noticed some coral polyps growning on some rock. Idk how since might light has almost been off 9£% of the time but they have started growing

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 17 77.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back