So is it wrasses or wrasse, plural?

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Joined
Feb 26, 2015
Messages
20,512
Reaction score
45,807
Location
Carmel, Indiana
What state or country do you live in
Indiana
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seen both and now that I think about it I think wrasse is plural, too?

:/

Even the grammar police struggle sometimes!
 
I would think it is supposed to be wrasses as plural but people just say wrasse for more than one. Same as people say fish for singular and plural commonly, but the proper term would be fishes as plural. Just my two cents.
 
Both are correct according to dictionaries, but no usage is given for when to use either.
 
I would assume the correct use would be similar to the correct use of fish and fishes

If you have one flame wrasse you have one fish and one wrasse

If you have two flame wrasse you have two fish and two wrasse

If you have a flame wrasse and 6 line wrasse you now have two fishes and two wrasses
 
Interesting discussion thanks folks
 
I would assume the correct use would be similar to the correct use of fish and fishes

If you have one flame wrasse you have one fish and one wrasse

If you have two flame wrasse you have two fish and two wrasse

If you have a flame wrasse and 6 line wrasse you now have two fishes and two wrasses

I've always followed these rules; more than one species and the plural becomes fishes.
Although I do get irritated by those that claim "octopi" is an acceptable plural form for octopuses.
 
I've always followed these rules; more than one species and the plural becomes fishes.
Although I do get irritated by those that claim "octopi" is an acceptable plural form for octopuses.
But octopi is an accepted usage, as is octopodes, and octopuses.
 
Octopod
 
But octopi is an accepted usage, as is octopodes, and octopuses.

Using octopi is accepted, yes; but it's lazy.
The word octopus is derived from a Greek-based root word "pod" for foot. When a Greek word is pluralized, it adds the "s/es". Words that are Latin-based use the "i" for the plural. The reason why we pluralize pegasus to pegasi is because when the word was adapted into the English language, it changed from Pegasos (Greek) to Pegasus (Latin).

I'm not a grammar or language fanatic, but it bothers me because I really like octopuses! (The animals, not the word.)
 
...but in English it actually is based off of popular usage, so the use that is most popular and commonly used is correct. While the etymology is Greek, so octopodes is correct, octopi is used for long enough, and with enough frequency, that it too is correct.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 7 23.3%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 4 13.3%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 7 23.3%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 6.7%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 6.7%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 6.7%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 6 20.0%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new