So many baby trochus snails!!!

I also have a few trochus snails in my tank, but I haven’t had much luck breeding them—I've only seen one baby in the past four years.
 
I had one of my trochus babies end up blocking the inlet to my protein skimmer in the evo13.5 2nd chambe

That has been my biggest problem with Trochus spawns. I started with ~9 snails in a 100gal and have hundreds now. A few dozen ended up in my sump and the little buggers would get ingested into my skimmer intake and wedge into the needle-wheel impeller stopping the pump or making a horrendous noise. I ended up covering the inlet with a mesh from a media bag to keep them out.
 
That has been my biggest problem with Trochus spawns. I started with ~9 snails in a 100gal and have hundreds now. A few dozen ended up in my sump and the little buggers would get ingested into my skimmer intake and wedge into the needle-wheel impeller stopping the pump or making a horrendous noise. I ended up covering the inlet with a mesh from a media bag to keep them out.
Mesh is a good idea I think I'll implement that as well.
 
That has been my biggest problem with Trochus spawns. I started with ~9 snails in a 100gal and have hundreds now. A few dozen ended up in my sump and the little buggers would get ingested into my skimmer intake and wedge into the needle-wheel impeller stopping the pump or making a horrendous noise. I ended up covering the inlet with a mesh from a media bag to keep them out.

Do you still have a lot of them? Would you consider selling some and shipping to Sacramento?
 
I never had baby trochus grow in my main display I think the flow is too high but I set up a 10 gallon frag tank 5 months ago with a hob skimmer & there are SO many trochus babies - the flow is much more relaxed - they are reproducing like crazy and I’m very happy about it (they aren’t exactly the cheapest snails) I have also noticed the stomatellas are reproducing like crazy there is just as many of them if not more in all colors - the babies are so cute / seriously so small
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 6.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 23 19.8%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 37 31.9%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 8.6%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 7.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 16 13.8%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new